1752557 Members
4693 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Booting problems proliant ML350 G3 usb hard disk

CA1297291

Booting problems proliant ML350 G3 usb hard disk

Hello,
I have 2 proliant ML350 G3 servers with Windows 2000 server installed. Both servers with USB external hard disks (one Maxtor and one Western Digital). If the external hard disks are conected and "on", the servers can not boot. When I turn off the disks, the servers boot OK.
What is the problem??
Thank you
Josep.
8 REPLIES 8
Lars-Andr├Г┬й elsrud
Occasional Contributor

Re: Booting problems proliant ML350 G3 usb hard disk

I have the exact same problem, except I have W2003 installed...
I would appreciate an answer

Thank you in advance

Lars-Andr├Г┬й
BR894765
Valued Contributor

I think, server tries to boot from this USB drive. Try to change boot order in RBSU.
Lars-Andr├Г┬й elsrud
Occasional Contributor

I have changed boot order. It stops saying "Tries to boot from harddrive (C:)"
When I pull the plug of the USB-drive it boots up like nothing has happened.. But thank you..
Lars-Andr├Г┬й elsrud
Occasional Contributor

My problem with the USB-disk ccurs because I have another problem with the server, it keeps rebooting now and then. Here is the message in the event-viewer
"Faulting application lsass.exe, version 5.2.3790.0, faulting module lsasrv.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault address 0x0006e0c4."
And it is not the Sasser-virus..
Has anyone else the same problem?
Josh Popham

I have the same problem. USB, firewire, eSATA - If it is an external druive the server seems to attempt to boot from the external device, regardless of how the boot controller order is set. I realize this post is 3 years old, but I haven't seen a solutiuon to the problem yet.
Jonathan Noake

I have a new Proliant ML150 and it has the same problem of trying to boot from a USB external drive. This is real nuisance as until somebody disconnects the USB drive it keeps the server off-line each time it tries to auto-reboot after an auto-update. Changing the boot order in BIOS doesn't help.
engfelt
Occasional Advisor

I had probably same issue with an external Samsung 250GB USB drive. Any ideas how to configure this to be able to have USB drives connected (used for backup)? Could it be something with the partitions on the USB drive? Should I change it to inactive?
Cheers
Niklas
Jonathan Noake

I managed to find a solution to this problem. It was simply to keep the external drive disconnected while booting the computer, entering the CMOS Setup, and selecting the boot sequence. I did not reconnect the external drive until after the system was fully up and running. After this the computer ignores the external drive each time it reboots.