3881 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Brand New DL380... Just will not build!

Karl Royal
Advisor

Brand New DL380... Just will not build!

Guys'n'girls

I've got a predicament I'm hoping you can help me with. I recently took delivery of a brand new DL380 G3 from our supplier. The box came with an additional 2GB and a second Xeon processor, plus 6 x 36GB 10k drives.

The problem I'm having is that the server just seems incredibly unstable. When I first tried to build the machine, using the supplied Smartstart 7.10 CD, the machine hung on the loading smartstart screen. A hard reboot and it got a bit further, this time into the java load screen of smartstart before it crashed again at 25%. Third time Smartstart managed to load correctly and I was able to run the ACU and setup my two arrays, one RAID 1+0 the other RAID 5 with a hot spare.

Nothing strange about the config so far. OK. I progressed through Smartstart and choose Win2003 standard edition, answered the rest of the pre-installation questions and when prompted put in the OS CD. Files copied correctly and the machine rebooted

When the machine booted, I saw the brief smartstart message as I would expect then the Windows 2003 setup routine. To cut a long story short, after formatting drive and copying necessary files 2003 setup rebooted machine. However instead of going into the GUI part of the installation, i saw exactly the same par of the installation again! Surpised, I let it run through, and as I expected when it rebooted again the same part of the installation began. Caught in a loop.

Seeing as I had configured the array using the ACU in smartstart, i decided I would try and boot directly off the win2003 CD and perform the installation this way. Everything seemed to go ok, reformatted partition, copied necessary files, rebooted and, "YES!" entered the gui part of the installation. 39 minutes was listed as the installation time, so I went to lunch. An hour later when I returned, it still said 39 minutes.... strange i thought. The system hadn't actually locked up (usual checks like caps lock still working etc) and I could see that for some reason the RAID5 array and not the system array was getting a whack on activity. Next thing i know, BSOD appears with the ubiquitous "IRQ Equals" nasty error...

Now, I'm pretty sure that I may have a hardware fault here, as I have built dozens of these servers and never had this problem before. I just would like to know if anyone else has any idea of what it could be before i contact my supplier and give him a mouthful.

Thanks

Karl Royal
10 REPLIES 10
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Brand New DL380... Just will not build!

Karl:

Does this server just have the on-board controller, or did you install another (i.e., 6400 series)?

If not, warranty cross ship a main board to replace the 6i. Call it DOA and tell them it will not boot consistantly.

Only other thing I can think to cause this is RAM... a quick run of a diagnostics will prove that out.

Less stress and hair loss!

G'luck! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

The G3 has a built in 5i controller.

I have ran into the problem you are speaking of a couple times with SmartStart 7.10. My solution was to use Smartstart 7.0 and it worked fine each time. Hopefully you have one laying around, if not, download it here: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp
Karl Royal
Advisor

Hi John,

In answer to your question I'm usin the integrated 5i controller (G3 remember!) Not much hair to lose mate :) I've stuck two new drives in and I'm just going to configure them as a system drive only. Want to eliminate the possibility of it being a rogue drive failure.

Will let you know and thanks for your help.

Karl
Karl Royal
Advisor

Tom,

I tried version 7.0 and same result...

Well, just two new disks made no difference. Am going to try SS 6.10 and see how that does!

Karl
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Weird. I'd go with John at this point and maybe pull out some memory and see what happens.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Sorry for that Karl... It would help if I have coffee on Monday before I read questions!

I agree with your plan of attack to determine drive fault. but...

Did you duplex the cage? If so, put a drive on each SCSI channel to make sure this is not an internal cable error or a specific channel error.

I am sure you have the bios up to date... if not, give that a test. If the logics on the 5i are goofy, it may turn up in a bios flash.

Let me know what you find? -john
Enjoy!

Karl Royal
Advisor

Heh John, I know the feeling. Unfortunately for my supplier I've had too much caffine today so he best be prepared for a harsh phone call. :)

Pulling out the additional 2GB of memory made absolutely no difference. I had thought of trying the disks on different channels, and i would do that if this server were in production/urgent/causing issues however as it is being commissioned i've lost all patience with it and am simply going to send the bloody thing back!

I will however keep on top of the supplier to find out what the problem gets diagnosed as.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Karl
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Well, I hope the rest of your Monday goes better!

p.s., let us know if we can be of any more help!

Take care & G'luck! -john
Enjoy!

Karl Royal
Advisor

One final reply!!!

I'm fairly certain it's controller or array related now...

Put a single drive in the array, bay 1 (not 0). Smartstart boots, detects the drive and I configure partition. Enter OS details and click ok for smartstart to prep disk...

Whole machine locks up on smart start screen. Even mouse. Now where's that suppliers phone number......?