Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: hpshm replaces Debian ld.so.conf file with ld.so.conf directory

RalfG
Frequent Advisor

Bug: hpshm replaces Debian ld.so.conf file with ld.so.conf directory

Hi,

we had a fun time installing the HP ProLiant Support Pack CD version 8.50-1 on a Debian Lenny (AMD64) DL380G6 server.

Installing the debian packages was no problem. But the hpshm package replaced the debian file /etc/ld.so.conf with the _directory _ /etc/ld.so.conf/.

$dpkg --contents hpsmh_6.0.0-96_i386.deb | grep "ld.so"
drwxr-xr-x root/root 0 2009-08-09 17:34 ./etc/ld.so.conf/
-rw-r--r-- root/root 18 2009-08-09 17:34 ./etc/ld.so.conf/hpsmh.conf

In Debian this file contains the path to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ which held all further conf files!

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

So after replacing this file, libs that were included in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ were missing, which broke some of our applications!

But that's not the end. hpsmh puts the file hpsmh.conf in /etc/ld.so.conf/ which includes the path to /opt/hp/hpsmh/lib. This directory contains libssl.so.0.9.8 ... libcrypto.so.0.9.8. Great!

With this and the replaced ld.so.conf file, nearly all applications linked against libssl/libcrypto broke! We could not log in with ssh anymore, because ssh now accessed libs in /opt/hp/hpsmh/lib...

So I removed the ld.so.conf directory which the hpsmh packages installed and restored debians original ld.so.conf file. The path to /opt/hp/hpsmh/lib seems not to be needed in any way, because all agents anf the hpsmh web page are still working.

I can't believe that this package was ever tested on a debian lenny system. This is really frustrating.