4091 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Build a DL380/G3 with the HDD's of a DL380/G4

Andre Claus
Occasional Contributor

Build a DL380/G3 with the HDD's of a DL380/G4

Hi All,
I have a situation were I need to fully re-install a DL380/G4 with new HDD's and load Windows and the specific program from scratch. Although I will make a full backup of the DL380/G4, I still wanted to take the old HDD's out and put them in a (spare) DL380/G3 as a fall back system. Hoping that when I start the DL380/G3 it will see the disks as Raid 5 (it's configuration) and start Windows.
I am not sure if this is possible and I was hoping if anyone had any experience with this.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

> Hoping that when I start the DL380/G3 it will see the disks as Raid 5

That will happen if the raid controller in the G4 server and the raid controller in the G3 are the same or are compatible as far as raid configuration. What are the controllers and the disks in use?

If the server recognizes the raid configuration, booting from the disks may be a different issue since there may be a difference in the system hardware betwwen a G$ and aG3 and the drivers from the G4 might not work in the G3. If that's the case you can try booting in safe mode and fix any issues.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

What you are doing is basically a a downgrade from a 6i to 5i controller, and downgrading is never good. I dont think this is supported but it might work.

Quote:

The firmware on the new controller should equal or exceed the revision level on the old controller. New firmware frequently introduces new capabilities that are stamped on the hard drives, which may at best be ignored by older firmware and at worst corrupt data.
Andre Claus
Occasional Contributor

Thank you gentlemen. It worked like a charm. The old raid controller was able to see the raid and boot from windows. Of course I had to manually change some drivers (NIC, etc). But that's understandable.