5317 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Building a Mirror set

SOLVED
Go to solution
Craig_118

Building a Mirror set

I am setting up a server ProLiant ML370 G3 with the optional drive bay array. I want to install windows 2003 server on one of the drives and mirror it to the other drive in the array. Is there a procedure for this?
4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Craig,
Firstly you would need an array controller to establish a hardware mirror. Did you get an array controller with your server? If you have an array controller and the SmartStart CD the best thing would be to follow to install path provided by booting off the SmartStart CD.
You would first need to set the array controller as the boot controller from the RBSU (F9 on POST) then you would boot off the SmartStart CE and configure the array controller (in your case a mirror) with the Array Configuration Utility (this is found under the maintenance in the SmartStart) and then from the setup tab you would start the install process.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Craig_118

When the system boots up there is a configuation for a 5302-128 array controller. So I assume it is what you have asked for? I have booted from the SmartStart CD and set the two 18 gig hard drive as raid 0+1 for hardware mirror. Is this the correct procedure and will the mirror show in the Disk Management on windows 2003 server software? Should I proceed with the setup of the operating system for the SmartStart CD?
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Craig,

A couple of points:

1. Did the server come with an integrated smart array 5i controller as well? You could check it by looking at the POST messages when the server boots, it should mark an entry with a line indicating your integrated controller.

Anyway, if you wish to setup the mirror on your 5302/128 controller, then just follow the smart start assisted OS installation. You could alternatively create the hardware mirror (raid 1+0) from array configuration utility found on the smart start CD (server setup tab) or through the BIOS (look for a POST line saying press ("F9" OR "F8" to launch the array configuration utlity).

The hardware mirror under Windows would be invisible. Under disk management you would only see one logical disk with disk effective space equal to the space of one physical drive (as this is a mirror - you lose 50% disk space). However, from Windows, if you launch Array Configuration Utility you will then see your two physical drives mirrored.

Hope, this helps and dont forget to assign points:)

Ciao!
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Craig,

Just make sure that the 5300 is the boot controller and you should be good to go.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!