Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypass SmartArray 5i Boot

Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

Bypass SmartArray 5i Boot

Hi,

i'm trying to boot froma hard disk connected to an Adaptec RAID controller, but the proliant DL380G2 insists on trying to boot from the onboard RAID array i have configured. disabling the smartarray is possible, but i need to access the smartarray's disks once i'm booted up. is there any way to choose not to boot form the embedded controller?

thanks
Rich
4 REPLIES
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Re: Bypass SmartArray 5i Boot

Are you trying to boot from an external storage?
If you want to boot from the PCI controller, you need to change the "Boot Controller Order" setting in the RBSU. You can access the RBSU by hitting F9 towards the end of POST.
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

i've used the F9 option, gone into boot controller options, and there are only 2 items listed, cnntlr1 PCI Emmebbed SmartArray 5i and cntrl2 PCI Embedded IDE

i cannot change the options at all, nor can i disable them.

i am running latest BIOS and firmware.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Richard,

The problem could be the ProLiant is not detecting the Adaptec controller as a storage controller as itâ s a non compaq controller. Is the Adaptec controller being detected on post?

Are you trying to connect an external storage unit?? Why don't you try the external port of the 5i on the serve
There’s your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

no, i'm trying to copy our sco unix install from our old server to the new DL380.

since the SmartArray 5i doesnt let you use a disk without wiping it first, i have to access it using another controller. also, sinc the disk is a SCA hot plug disk that i'm copying from (stand-alone, not raid) i needed an SCA apater. i dont have a cable to plug an SCA drive to the external connector.

the actual problem is that the cloned unix disk wont boot due to the stage 1 boot failure problem which seems quite common. thus i'm trying to boot from the old disk and run the correction procedure on the main array.

i have no sco unix media here, so it looks like i'm just going to have to wait.

i must say though, i'm hugely dissapointed with the smartarray controller, it seems very backward and basic. there is no option to make a logical drive not-bootable either.