1753623 Members
5753 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C-Class Power Question

Henri Goyette
Occasional Advisor

C-Class Power Question

If I want to fill a c7000 enclosure with a full compliment of power supplies, can I do that? I have read the enclosure setup and installation guide and it only says that I should install the power supplied based on the total number needed.

Now, I have a BL480 and a BL460 installed (with more to come soon) and have 3 power supplies currently. Two more power supplies arrived and when I tried to insert them into the enclosure I received a "Power Error" on the enclosure no matter what position i tried to put the power supplies in.

The error is something like "FRU Data error" on the power supply. Is this a "real" error or a misinterpretation of the setup guide in that I have to wait until I have more blades installed to install the extra power supplies?

Henri
5 REPLIES 5
Henri Goyette
Occasional Advisor

To be absolutely precise:

I currently have two Blades installed. Bays 1 and 9 are used by a BL480 and bay 10 is used by a BL460.

I have 3 power supplies installed in Bays 1,2,4.

I inserted a power supply into bay 5 and received the following error on the OA console:

1 - Device Error

When I viewed the details of the error it presented "FRU Data corrupt in PWR Supply Bay 5"

In the "Fix" it said I needed to reconfigure my power supplies in the following order 1,4,2,5,3,6. I believe I was correct in my configuration.

Henri
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Take a look at Onboard Administrator -> Power and Thermal -> Power Management.

This is how I understand it :-)

If you have chosen the AC Redundant setting, it means you must run PSU in pairs, 1+4 2+5 3+6. Normaly 1-3 should be connected to UPS and the redundant 4-6 to AC.

Otherwise, if it is Power Supply Redundant you can run 1+6 1+2+6 1+2+3+6 and so on.

Ole Thomsen

Henri Goyette
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Ole. I did check that area and was aware of the configurations. I chose (for now) to be on Power Suppy Redundant so this is still a mystery since I can, or should, be allowed to have as many power supplies as I want to have (up to 6 of course).

Henri
Henri Goyette
Occasional Advisor

This is embarrassing but here is the answer:

When you insert power modules into the c7000 Blade enclosure you WILL receive the following error if the power is NOT attached to the rear of the enclosure for the bay that you are plugging in the new power supply:

FRU Data Corruption in PWR Supply Bay '%s'

There is nothing in the documentation that indicates that you MUST plug in the power supply bays prior to inserting the power supply units. Not that there absolutely NEEDS to be because the connection of the power is a logical next step to connecting the power supply, however, presenting an error like that is sort of misleading.
Henri Goyette
Occasional Advisor

Please see "magic" answer below.