1748223 Members
4707 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CANNOT BOOT FROM SMARTSTART CD!

kwayu
Occasional Contributor

CANNOT BOOT FROM SMARTSTART CD!

My server proliant 6000 server cannot boot from smartstart 5.50 CD for me to array drives, or even be able to run erase utility. As it is now, I cannot use my server, in which I want to install Windows server 2003 or 2000! What can I do to boot from smatrstart? I have tried to boot from diskettes created from SP19619 but still wont boot! My server is Pentium II 500Mhz with 2 processors. It identifies Array controller at boot though! What can I do to have it running again?
9 REPLIES 9
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

So it doesn't boot the floppies either?

Mugilvannan
Valued Contributor

You need to create system configuration diskettes by downloading a softpaq from HP/COMPAQ site. The SP No is 19619. Which can be downloaded from the following link:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
If U need a helping hand, U will find one at the end of your arm
kwayu
Occasional Contributor

Steven: No it does not boot from diskettes, which I developed for the pack as suggested by Mugilvannan. I probably need to erase some memory but how can i do that if i cannot boot from Smartstart CD or floppies?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It's possible the boot order is incorrect. To change it back I'd recommend clearing the NVRAM on the server.

On a PL6000 Xeon model you can do this by turning switch 6 on in the maintenance switch bank, along the top edge of the standard peripheral board. Power the server on with this switch turned on, then power the server off after it gets video and turn the switch back off.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
kwayu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Terry but it did not work out. Does someone know how to clear the drive positioning memory? It keeps asking me that and I cannot reposition the drives as they were since I cannot run Array Configuration Utility!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Use fully formatted diskette for erase utility
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

At System Maintenance Switch, enable switch #4 to ON, all other OFF (#3 depend from Configuration, however not related for boot process)

Try to boot from diskette once again

Disconnect CD-ROM Drive Cable from System board if needed Temporarily
kwayu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks KOV, but still wont boot diskette, nor CD!! And now reports failure of the second processor!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

PL 6000 with disorderly Problems
Start with minimum configuration, reset all components, Make sure install them back fitly, Test with minimum possible Configuration, remove any additional PCI cards (including Array) - till you get Successful boot, CD ROM use with Cable Select (if IDE). If Possibly test different CD ROM Drive.
kwayu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the time and effort. I was eventually able to boot diskettes after changing the (defective) diskette drive! I am up and running. Again thanx.