1748287 Members
3149 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CD/DVD device driver missing installing server 2008 R2

Peter Stone
Occasional Contributor

CD/DVD device driver missing installing server 2008 R2

Hi, i have seen other reports of this when searching the web but no luck with a solution.

Have a dl380G6 and am trying to install windows server 2008 R2 64 bit. Having no luck either via ilo virutal media or directly with the disc in the drive.

I have downloaded the windows server iso again and verified it is okay.

When installing via smartstart (tried 8.30 and 8.40) it fails at 99% of the setup. When installing the os on it own I get the CD/DVD devicer driver missing error.

any ideas as to a fix gratefully received.
9 REPLIES 9
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi Peter,

Are you running the latest firmware for your system ROM (2010.05.14)? Do you have the latest iLO firmware (2.00)? Use the firmware DVD version 9.10(B) available here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-21b78cec26574fa3bfe6324fc9

to make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

Then use version 8.50 of SmartStart for x64 systems from here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-4013ecc117de42909d0d55e472

to prepare to install the OS.

What method are you using to connect to the OS source files? network ISO, network flat files, DVD ISO? I've had the most success via iLO with DVD...

good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
Peter Stone
Occasional Contributor

What method are you using to connect to the OS source files? network ISO, network flat files, DVD ISO? I've had the most success via iLO with DVD...

Hi, thanks for the response.

In answer to your question I have tried:

1. virtual media mounting iso file as DVD (both with smartstart and direct install of OS)

2. with a iso image burnt to DVD to try and install directly.

both come up with the device driver missing error unless using smartstart when it errors at 99%. The suggestion has been that the iso I am using is dodgy but I have downloaded it several times from MS now and get the same issue everytime.
O.C. Native
Occasional Advisor

Dear WFH-WI.
You are referring to the server's iLO firmware level, yes? I am reluctant to upgrade the chassis' iLO firmware because every time I do, it seems to "forget" about a blade or three to the point where I have had to power off the blades and reseat them to get the chassis OA to recognize them again.
Thanks in advance.
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

To resolve this issue following changes are required in RBSU:- RBSU, SATA configuration, SATA#1 controller Mode, Compatible.

http://hpproliant.blogspot.com/2010/04/internal-dvd-drive-get-disappeared.html
O.C. Native
Occasional Advisor

Alas, I am talking about a bl460c, which has no such BIOS setting.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

OC-Native:
Are you posting your response in the wrong thread, or trying to hijack the thread for your own problem, which seems to be on a completely different server HW?

Peter:
I have given up on using Virtual media when installing BL460 servers and are using an old DVD-ROM that belonged to an older 12" HP laptop. (Any USB-based DVD-drive will work)
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor

As Trygve suggested, you need to use an external USB drive. It will work without any issues. This is a known issue with these servers...
Peter Stone
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice. This is definitely only an issue with server 2008 R2 as I am currently installing the older server 2008 and that is fine.

I will try the external DVD next time I am at the datacentre as that sounds like the most straightforward option.
O.C. Native
Occasional Advisor

No, not trying to hijack. My apologies. I should have said so when I first saw Proliant Watch's response. I'm out.