1753472 Members
4807 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CDROM and OS installation problems...

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

CDROM and OS installation problems...

I have recently purchased the Prosignia 500 server for a home business. I have intended to install either windows's 2000, or Sure Linux 7.0 as the OS. Upon attempting to reboot to the CDROM for installation; it gives the following error...."CDROM not bootable on this system"????

I have went into the BIOS to ensure that it is enabled as a boot device...I cannot find anything to that effect...just for the floppy! If I continue on into MS-DOS there is not a drive letter stated for the CDROM drive. Just A,B,and C.

How do I ensure that the CDROM was configured on this system.....BTW I used compaq's sys config utility.....and how do I make it bootable?????

Thank you very much for your help.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: CDROM and OS installation problems...

This old system may need major updating to boot to "El Torito" spec CD-ROMs (that's the current boot spec, wasn't used when this one was made). I'd start with the firmware:

Prosingia 500 ROMPaq

Then run a newer version of System Configuration:

System Configuration 2.53A

If you need it, here is the MS-DOS SCSI Support Kit:

MS-DOS SCSI Support

This contains all of the DOS SCSI drivers needed to setup that CD so that it shows up... You should then be able to launch either OS install.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: CDROM and OS installation problems...

I am in a simular situation to original poster (Just purchased a Prosignia 500 and trying to install Linux). Have upgraded to the latest ROMPaq and created a system partition. I now have the problem:

175-EISA Configuration / Slot Mismatch
Device Found
101 - I/O ROM Error

I know this refers to the EISA card in slot 2, which requests the file
!SLX0411.CFG, but I can not find this file anywhere (machine came with no disks what so ever).

If I remove the card system starts OK, but still get
101 - I/O ROM Error
Message.

I am not exactly sure what the card is for either!

In Addition, I have set the boot order to CD, A, C and it just ignores the SCSI CD.

Thanks in advance for any help.