108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CHANGE OF HIGHER SCSI HARD DRIVE CAPACITY

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

CHANGE OF HIGHER SCSI HARD DRIVE CAPACITY

I HAVE PROLIANT ML370 G3, THE 2 HDD IS CONFIGURED RAID1 AND THE 4 IS CONFIGURED RAID 5. I WANT TO CHANGE IT TO A HIGHER CAPACITY. THE EXISTING IS 36GB AND I WANT TO INCREASE TO 300GB SCSI. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ON THE PROCEDURES?
7 REPLIES 7
dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: CHANGE OF HIGHER SCSI HARD DRIVE CAPACITY

Hi,

- perform a regular full backup (in case of an unexpected emergency)
- one by one replace a disk with a new (bigger)one and after each replacement wait for the raid-volume rebuild to complete.
- when all disks of a volume are replaced startup ACU (Array Configuration Utility) and expand the volumes with the desired size.
- in windows use diskmanager or the diskpart command to extend the size of the windows partition.(only the system partition cannot be extended with diskpart)

Regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

according to dms,
yes because you're going to add new HDD(bigger) you're gonna get unused space, you need to use ACU to extend and expand the array.

to increase space in partition C: you need a third party partition software

D: E: whatever you can use Diskpart

I recommend you http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/partitionexpert/index.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

wait for the raid-volume rebuild to complete-

question:
1. Do i need to replace the HDD(with high capacity) online or do i need to shutdown the server , then replace it?
2.how will i know if the rebuild is on process?
3. how will i know if the rebuild is done?
4. Is disk manager and disk management are thesame?
dms_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

You can see the rebuild progress in % when you click on the "more information" in the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) (You select the array and then click more information)

Rebuild can be made online too.The default priority is low.You can change to make it faster but that may affect the performace of the server.

Dont forget to assign some points if this helped

Regards
Iron_Ferrier
Advisor

Hi,
an add to Karlo
you also can extend the C: Partition with diskpart, you'll only have to boot from a PE-or Emergency CD with diskpart on it.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well something new

I should try it that what you're saying

I always thought that was impossible
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

"Only the extension of data volumes is supported. System or boot volumes may be blocked from being extended, and you may receive the following error:
Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make sure the volume is valid for extending"

I'll give it a try any o these days

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

THIS THING WORKS!!!!!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME!!!!