1752320 Members
5636 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CHKDSK Never Completes...Drives Show as OK

TonySinFL
Occasional Advisor

CHKDSK Never Completes...Drives Show as OK

Proliant ML350G5 with RAID5 array. C and D volume. After every reboot it's wanting to run chkdsk on the D: volume. I let it run overnight for 12 hours but it never completed. Stayed on step 1 of 5.

Rebooted and bypassed chkdsk. Ran the online diagnostics and all drives passed. Nothing in the event logs showing any problems with drives.

Google results show how to reset the dirty bit so that chkdsk doesn't run but I'm not sure I want to do that yet in case there really is a problem somewhere.

Could this be an NTFS issue rather than a physical problem?

Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm ...tony get disk modelnr

The model number you can get remotely by going in to Hp tools and the array diagnostic utility , and on to the array controller , and onto the physical disc a model number it has this type of format BF14684970 ,when here you can press control f to get a search box open , just type the word Model in there to help with the search

or just look on the disk

go to hp.com put in model nr get latest firmware

if issue perstists
ensure you have a back up of the os then

refer too

http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

goodluck Tony :)

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

TonySinFL
Occasional Advisor

No joy. Updated the firmware on the server (none specifically for the drives though) but still get prompted to run chkdsk after reboot.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

boot of smart start software cd , 8.3 and run diagnostics then run array diagnostics and post attatch here i will look at it..
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

do the above offline...
TTr
Honored Contributor

> After every reboot it's wanting to run chkdsk on the D: volume. I let it run overnight for 12 hours but it never completed

Does chkdsk do anything at all? I mean as soon as you run the command do you see any intense disk activity? Non stop disk activity? Disk activity for some time and the no more disk activity?
That would indicate if the problem is with the filesystem headers, the filesystem structure or the OS itself.

Take a good backup and try the clean disk bit setting or recreate the filesystema nd restore the data.

Can you try chkdsk on another filesystem to see if it runs to completion?
Bleeder
Frequent Advisor

Did you try offline chkdsk? Meaning, from Recovery Console on bootable Windows Server 2003 CD, or from Startup Repair (Command Prompt option, then run chkdsk) on Windows Server 2008 DVD. Sometimes this fixes problems that normal Windows chkdsk cannot fix. Strange, but true.
TonySinFL
Occasional Advisor

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a production server so it's going to be awhile before I'm able to take it offline to do what was suggested.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Tony
TonySinFL
Occasional Advisor

All,

I opened a support case w/HP on this and sent them some diagnostics. They found a drive that was having problems and have sent me a new one.

Thanks all for your help.

Tony