1753770 Members
4843 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CIM throwing bogus fan failure errors

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

CIM throwing bogus fan failure errors

CIM 4.90 reports "System Fan Failure (Fan 1, Location System)" and the server keeps shutting itself down. Every time the server shuts down, I open the panels and all three fans are operating (Power supply, processor cage and extra fan near the top front of the chassis). I have checked all the visible wiring and power connectors for the fans and everything looks good. Now the questions: 1) To which of the 3 fans is the CIM error referring? 2) Will fan replacement solve the error? (i.e. Is a fan just getting old and not maintaining R.P.M. like it should or am I dealing with another issue like a bad fan spin sensor, intermittent power to the fan, etc?) Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: CIM throwing bogus fan failure errors

See if one of the fans has dust build up on the edge of the fan blades. This will case the fan to turn at a slower speed. The yellow wire on the fan power connection is the fan heartbeat from the RPM of the fan. If the fan is turning too slow, you will get the fan failure warning message. Clean off the fan blades with a soft bush. If you still get the fan error message after cleaning the fan blades, replace the fan.