1748041 Members
5129 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CL380 array help

Troy Swope

CL380 array help

i am working with node 2 only. there are two 9.1 gig drives configured raid 1. i want to swap them for 18.2 gig drives. i thought i could simply break the mirror, then image drive 0 to drive 1 using drive copy software that would repartition on the fly. then i could add the second 18 gig drive and reset the raid 1 mirror. is this doable? right now i am trying to kill the logical drive (1 9.1 gig raid 1) and it tells me the data on the logical drive will be deleted!! am i going to lose all my data from the physical drive if i do this?
8 REPLIES 8
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: CL380 array help

I've only worked with a DL380 Cluster once, so I'll tell you what I would do on a regular server (if it helps).

Easiest way to upgrade disks in an array I've found it to fail one of the drive (read- pull it out), and put in the new drive. Let it rebuild, and do the same to the rest. When it is done, you can expand the logical drive, or use whatever software you want. We have done this at least a dozen times with no problems.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Troy;

I'm presuming you have a Smart Array controller for your Node2 drives.

If you delete a logical drive from an array controller you will destroy the data.

You can, however, down the server, pull out a 9.1GB drive, put in an 18.2 GB drive and do drive array recovery on the 18.2 GB drive. When that's done, repeat the process for the other drive. (We don't recommend hot-replacing a drive unless it's failed with a red/amber LED)

After both drives have been replaced, you can create a second logical drive on the free space in the array using the Array Configuration Utility either online or from SmartStart.

Your other option is to leave the 9GB mirror as it is and create a Array B on the controller using the 2 18GB drives in RAID1. Then you will have an additional 18.2 GB of free space to work with rather than 9.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Troy Swope

my main goal out of all of this was to expand the c partition from 4 gig to at least 8. the problem i have is i cant image these large partitions to my network (they timeout or stop half way through) so i figured i could break the mirror and do a drive copy from drive 0 to drive 1 and dynamically resize on the fly. i am failing th 9.1 over to the 18.2 now. it is rebuilding, but i think i have to break the mirror so that my image software can see two seperate drives... right?
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

After you do both 18gigs, resize the c: partition. I myself would use Server Magic from PowerQuest. This way you don't have to do any imaging or anything. I would just try to get a good backup of the server "just in case"
Troy Swope

since i have both original 9.1 gig drives, do i need to be concerned with a good backup. (lets not go there! hehe)
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

That is something I have never tried, so it's up to you if you want that risk.

Before we go any further, what OS are you running?
Troy Swope

win2k sp3
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor