1752646 Members
5862 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CMOS Battery for ProLiant 2500

Alister Young
Occasional Contributor

CMOS Battery for ProLiant 2500

My ProLiant 2500 displayed NVRM msg. I looked for the replacement battery part number at HP parts store. It pointed to a Battery Module (w/4.5V battery). When I openned up my ProLiant,
I found the Rayovac BR2355 3.0V button battery welded onto the PC-board. Is there a easy way to replace this battery without damaging the board?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alister,
Here is the right part No which is: System I/O Battery 160274-001. I am sure on the system board you have a pin out where the external battery can be hooked up.

Regards,
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alister,

Just to add to what Sunil has stated already. The AUX battery connector on the I/O module is used for the replacement battery. I have attached a diagram which explains the procedure on the Proliant 2500.

Regards,

Brian
Alister Young
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the help.

I went online and found the listing of this
battery from the HP Parts store. However,
it has been discontinued and no longer in stock. The ProLiant 2500 that I have was
purchased second half of 1998. It was not
outdated then, and it is now; according to the
Parts store agent whom I have just gotten off
the phone with. She was not able to find any
info for me on the battery. I guess I'll have
to find out the hard way unless you guys have
more suggestions.

Appreciate the comments.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Alister,

Don't despair. The AUX battery used as a replacement in the older Compaq server range is simply a Rayovac 840 4.5V Alkaline battery. Although the Compaq spare part number may now be obsolete, this is simply our part number for an original Rayovac item.

This battery is used everywhere as a replacement battery, including some Macintosh systems. It will cost you about $15 to $20 or less for a replacement. If you can't find one within 5 minutes of doing a web search, I would be shocked. Any decent PC or Electronics store will stock it, so shop locally if possible. I have attached an image of it for clarity.

Rayovac model 840, 4.5V Alkaline Computer Clock Battery. It has a 4 pin female connector with only the outside pins in use (red and black wires). One of the pin holes is blanked on the connector to align it with the area on your motherboard where it fits. This is so that it can't be fitted the wrong way round.

I hope this helps,

Brian