Event Source: CPQTeamMP
Event Category: None
Event ID: 386
Date: 29/09/2005
Time: 14:07:45
User: N/A
Computer: DOMASV034
Description:
HP Network Team #1: PROBLEM: A Failover occurred: The Primary Network Link is not receiving. Receive-path validation has been enabled for this Team by selecting the Enable receive-path validation Heartbeat Setting. ACTION: Please check your cabling to the link partner. Check the switch port status, including verifying that the switch port is not configured as a Switch-assist Channel. Generate Broadcast traffic on the network to test whether these are being received. Also make sure all teamed NICs are on the same broadcast domain. Run diagnostics to test card. Drop the NIC from the team, determine whether it is receiving broadcast traffic in an unteamed configuration.
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: CPQTeamMP Event ID: 386

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Make sure the nic driver are above the following version (min)

Note: The NCU 8.10 will also require the customer to update the NIC drivers in the system to these minimum versions.
NC10xx/67xx/77xx/150x/320x/325x ├в Version 8.39.1.0
HP NC61xx/71xx/310x Gigabit ├в Version 8.6.11.0
HP NC31xx ├в Version 8.0.21.0

And as suggested above please update the teaming utility

If using windows 2000 then foloowing link will do
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/download/22705.html

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Joseph,
Literally, this problem means the NIC that was acting like the Primary NIC was not able to receive any frame from network within the validation period (6 seconds with default timers). Since the non-Primary NIC is able to receive frames from the network, the Team failed over to the non-Primary to restore connectivity.

You need to troubleshoot why the old Primary NIC wasn't able to receive anything.

This can be caused by several things:
1. NICs are plugged into two different switches that are not on the same LAN.

2. The switch ports have been configured for different VLANs.

3. The switch is configured for Port Trunking (e.g. etherchannel) and it should NOT be. Etherchannel should be used with the SLB team type. I know you aren't using SLB since Receive Validation is not used for SLB. So, make sure your switch ports are not configured for Port Trunking/EtherChannel.

By the way, the chances that this is caused by a bad NIC is extremely remote. I highly recommend troubleshooting everything else before attempting to get the card replaced.

Best regards,
-sean