cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Cage upgrade

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

CPU Cage upgrade

Currently I have a Proliant 1600 with dual PII 300mhz Processors in it. I have been looking around the Web for information on how to upgrade the CPUs. So far I have read that the PII model can only be upgraded to a PII 333mhz Processor. I have also noticed that there are PIII CPU Cages available. My question is has anyone tried to replace the standard PII cage with the PIII Cage? Are there any issues with it? I have noticed that the PIII cage does not support the Memory card, but for the extra speed I am willing to do with out it. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you,

L. Ventrue
Vire LLC
1 REPLY
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: CPU Cage upgrade

Good Day,
I understand your concern about upgrading your PL1600 PII to PIII 600. Mind you you wont only be upgrading your CPUs with cage. You would be required to change the system board, RAM since your PII uses EDO RAM whereas PIII needs SDRAM. Considering what is involved and expenses wise it would be adviseable to go for a new one. If you compare the parts invloved you would understand the pros for buying a new server altogether. If you need further clarification please feel free to contact tech support at 1-800-ok-compaq.