4140 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

CPU Upgrade in DL160G8 question about VRM/PPM

Ivan_Beaute
Frequent Visitor

CPU Upgrade in DL160G8 question about VRM/PPM

Hello,

My company recently bought a "DL160 GEN8 entry eu svr" with a Xeon e5-2603.

I want to change this processor because we need to use this server for continuous integration. Doing this with only 4cores without Hyper-Threading is not a great idea.

So I planned to change the E5-2603 (TDP = 80W) to an E5-2650 (TDP = 95W). After contacting my reseller, I heard about VRM and PPM module that could probably block the compatibility.

I try to contact HP presales support but nobody knows about VRM or PPM. So could I use the E5-2650 on this server? Or I  have a limitation to 80W. 

I hope someone could help me because it's hard to find information about VRM/PPM for recent Proliant Server.

Thanks.

Ivan Beauté

12 REPLIES 12
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: CPU Upgrade in DL160G8 question about VRM/PPM

The DL160 G8 is designed for either of those processors. You'd even be fine with one of the CPU's with a TDP of 130W.

Power usage will go up as you've noticed, but the system board itself is capable of handling it. It'll also run a bit hotter, but the diff between 80 and 95 isn't that much.

You shouldn't need to update the power supplies or add extra fans either unless you do finally upgrade to a 2nd CPU.

Which is another thing... based on what processors you're looking at, you might find a good deal on adding a 2nd CPU that matches the first one. CPU option kits include the extra 2 fans you'd need. It could be cheaper and just as many cores over all at nearly the same speed as the single E5-2650.
Ivan_Beaute
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately I use VMware ESXI 5.5 with free licence, so I can only have one processor for the moment. The E5-2650 seems to be a good compromise for us.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Ah, I forgot about software that licenses per physical CPU.  What a weird licensing scheme, when you think about it.  No wonder companies are moving away from that, even Microsoft.

Good luck with a new CPU. :)

Ivan_Beaute
Frequent Visitor

Bad news.

My resseller won't sell me the E5-2650 with a TPD of 95W for my server.  Her expert says that it would not be compatible with my VRM, which is limited to 75W (how could he know that without any serial number ?).

According to him, only the E5-2650L is compatible with my server because it has a TDP of 70W. But this processor is an old one, it's more expensive, less powerful and it reaches the end of its life.

My resseller also tell me that I will not be able to change the VRM for this model. So my company bought a Proliant server less than one year ago and I can't upgrade it with a more powerful processor? HP, If it's a joke, is a bad one !

I'm lost, why nobody in HP company can tell me that there is a problem with the VRM on my server. They just tell me that "the E5-2650 is compatible with a DL160gen8".

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I thought all newer Proliants (since maybe 2008'ish?) had the VRM's built in... maybe not on the DL160's though?

I apparently have a mindset of focusing on what's available with the DL360/DL380 models... I think the last DL160 I had was probably 10 years ago so I just assumed it had kept up to date with some of those common things.

At any rate, if it is replaceable as a separate module, the CPU upgrade kits *should* come with the CPU and a VRM, at least they used to.

If HP is telling you that they ship entirely different main boards depending on the CPU it comes with, I don't know if I buy that... I can't imagine a CPU upgrade involving replacing the motherboard. :)

I dug up the replacement parts for a DL160 G8... only one spare # for the system board. I don't see a VRM part though.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03270866-6%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1401504489261.87...

Yeah, I'm thinking you probably just got a reseller who didn't know the particular model or made some incorrect assumptions. I don't know if the expert she talked to was familiar with HP servers.

When I've purchased from CDW or Softchoice (those aren't plugs for them, FYI, just stating the facts), they do have some pretty good HP specific experts on hand if I had any questions, but I generally try to research the parts I need ahead of time to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing. :)
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Waaronb is correct that any of the Processor options (for your DL160G8) can bee installed into your system.

In your case of wanting to use an Intel Xeon E2650 processor, please use the HP sales P/N of 662931-L21. I would also order a replacement heat sink as well. This will have a new Thermal pad for use on the new Processor. This can be skipped if you have access to a better quality of Thermal compound (paste). Artic Silver is what I would use if I were doing the upgrade.

By sure to update Bios to the latest one for your server, use good static dissipation guidelines while replacing the Processor chip. Consult the users/service guide for procedures, step by step.

Regards,

Louis

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Oh and there is only one system board listed for DL160G8...

Louis
Ivan_Beaute
Frequent Visitor

I can't find the 662931-L21 but only the 662931-B21. Is-it the same product ?

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?sku=10414187&mfg_part=662931-B21

Thanks

Ivan

LouisH
Valued Contributor

yes it is same processor..... One P/N (L21) indicates first Processor in server, the second P/N (B21) indicates the second or add-on processor.

Regards,

Louis