ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748275 Members
3911 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPU Upgrade on Proliant DL385: A Quagmire?

Hakan E.
Occasional Contributor

CPU Upgrade on Proliant DL385: A Quagmire?

I have failed to upgrade the CPUs on a Proliant DL385 (not G2) to either dual-core 285 or single-core 254. Both result in an 'unknown processor' error during system start-up. I do have an up-to-date BIOS and have reset firmware and tried similar tricks. We've already had the board replaced once due to an unrelated issue, so I do not think this problem is hardware-related. My questions are whether the heftily-priced CPU upgrade options offered by HP differ in some way from regular OEM or retail AMD processors on the market and if that is not the case, if there is a routine way to go about this setup that I have somehow overlooked in the manuals, online, etc.?
3 REPLIES 3
Hakan E.
Occasional Contributor

To add: The system currently has two 250s installed. The 254 I mention above did work in a Proliant DL145. A question that comes to mind is whether the new processors require different PPMs.
jaz_1

Hakan,

Have you had any luck with the upgrade? We are running into the same "unknown processor" issues when trying to add a second processor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jaz
Hakan E.
Occasional Contributor

No.

We also had a somewhat similar issue on some first-generation DL-145s, which in the end turned out to be due to be the revision of the Opteron processor -- they would not work with anything other than Revision CG although, strangely enough, we somehow did manage to get one work with a single single-core Revision E although it would still not boot to two of the same processor.

In any case, this may have nothing to do with what's going on with the DL385 (the DL145 limitation is mentioned in between the lines in a HP FAQ, but I've yet to find a similar statement on the DL385). Still, we're going to try a faster Revision CG in the DL385 in a few days when I receive some I ordered online.

HP Customer Support has had not provided any help or info on this subject other than referring us to their own CPU upgrade.