108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPU Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Lynch
Occasional Advisor

CPU Upgrade

I have attempted to upgrade a 1600 6/266 to dual PII-333's I get a 212-Processor2 Failed a POST. I have tried multiple swaps and determined it's not the CPU's, CPU cage, or memory. The BIOS is flashed to the most recent E34 version.
Not sure what else I can do..anyone experienced this before? and what did you do to fix??

PLEASE HELP!
21 REPLIES 21
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CPU Upgrade

Ron,

According to this the 266 model could only be upgraded to 300mhz cpu's. The next line of 1600's started at 350 and could be upgraded to 500Mhz. Here is the part number of the compatible CPU: Pentium II 300 MHz processor (PN 298047-B21)

http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/proliant1600/questionandanswer.html

http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/ProLiant1600/500-questionandanswer.html

hth,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Ron Lynch
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the response Greg.
I'm a little confused though. On the inside case of the server, it outlines the jumper settings for the cpu, and has a maximum setting of 333Mhz. During initial POST, both CPU's are recognized and initialized at 333Mhz, however after the RAM test is completed CPU 1 initialized with 512K cache, then CPU 2 failes.
It was my understanding that this model was capable of a max CPU clock speed of 333Mhz. It boots and runs fine with one CPU at 333Mhz. It's when I put the second one in that the POST errors occurs. It happens when it attempts to recognize the cache of CPU 2.
-Ron
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Do both CPU's boot successfully one by one? Does it matter which CPU is in the secondary position? If they both boot one by one and its always the second CPU that is failing that would point you to the secondary CPU slot as possibly failing.

As for supporting 333Mhz I can't find any documentation stating that it supports it but it just might not be documented in any of the original Compaq documentation. I'm just starting to learn the Compaq line so sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Ron Lynch
Occasional Advisor

Both CPU's Boot seperatly, and I have swapped both CPU's in different positions (CPU1-POS1, CPU2-POS2, CPU2-POS1 etc..) I also have another 1600 6/266 that I tried the CPU cage and I/O cages from, same results, same POST error.
I have looked through the documentation that I can find, nothing reports this error. I have found one other post with the same error, but Compaq has not replied to it.

I apprecieate your replies.

Jake Richie
Advisor

between swaps it is necessary to clear the 212 error in the SCU at POST
You will need to enter the advanced mode with (ctrl-A).
Once completed, if the cpu is still in error the error will reappear else you will POST fine.
I assume that you have a processor power module for the second processor as well as the first?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Ron Lynch
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Jake,

As soon as I have the opportunity I will give this a try. If possible, do you know where in the SCU I can clear the 212 POST error? Or if you can point me to the Compaq documentation I'd appreciate that as well.
I have cleared the NVRAM with no results.

The CPU cards both have the same VRM, and the CPU's are from Compaq, not third party.

Thanks again for your reply.

-Ron
Jake Richie
Advisor

once you hit F10 during bootup, you will be brought to a Systems Configuration Utility (SCU) Main Menu.
At this point hit (ctrl-A) and accept advanced mode
Select configure hardware and you should be asked if you would like to resolve processor issue (hmm...I think you would right?) system will request a power cycle and you should be clean
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Ron Lynch
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Jake,

I've been to that menu several times, got in the habit of saying no so I could get to the advanced menu (big whoops!). This was prior to udating the BIOS. Before the update, the post said CPU1 had 1024k cache, and processor 3 failed! I was thinking cool, I have 3 CPU's! HA
I will try that as soon as I have the chance.

Again, thanks!!

-Ron
Jorge Biquez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ron and all.
I have exactly the same problem, but my original processor is a PII-300 Mhz and the new ones are PII-333 Mhz. I also switched processors, any of them works fine alone, but not together. I also uptaded BIOS to latest E34. I downloaded floppy images so I could boot from them and entered the hardware configuration. When asked if I already fixed the problem with the processor I answer yes, tell me to power off the computer and restart. But I still receive the error that processor failed. Have you solved this already? if so, could you please share how did you do it? Thanks in advance.

JB