4779 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPU upgrade DL380G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Klaas van der Ploeg

CPU upgrade DL380G5

I'm currently investigating the necessary steps and costs of upgrading CPU capacity of DL380G5 servers.
They currently contain a single dual core 3.0GHz Intel Xeon processor.
I think i have the following options:
- add additional dual core CPU
- replace dual core with quad core CPU

What are the pro's and con's of both options, and are there other options?
And, can I safely assume that I can replace the dual core with a quad core CPU? I mean, it seems that the P5000 chipset supports quad core, but is there anything else which would prevent the replacement?

Thanks,
Klaas
4 REPLIES 4
TimClarke

You should be able to find the parts listed for your model and choose based on the price, some will be good value and others less so.

Yes, if it's listed as an option for your model you can safely assume it will work, the key question will be the benefit for your application/s?

You've given insufficient information for anyone to help answer some of your questions.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

be careful you must check first if you System Board supports Quad Cores since there like 2 or 3 types pf System Board for these G5 like Dl380 g5

so check the model - system Board spare number and check the System Board you got and the processor that can support it is not the first time someone buys Quad-Cores having Dual Cores and server is not booting since their system board only supports Dual not Quads

check system Board spares here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516#2
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
B. Hulst
Trusted Contributor

The additional cpu must be of the same type, speed and stepping.
Klaas van der Ploeg

Thanks for your responses. We decided to be on the safe side and will use the exact same type as the current dual core.