1753636 Members
5915 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CR3500 Drive Array

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

CR3500 Drive Array

When installing W2K Advanced Server, the system cannot find the appropriate driver for the CR3500 Drive Array device even after installing Compaq SupportPaq for W2K. The SupportPaq corrects drivers for SCSI controller (this is a known issue, W2K erroneously sets Symbios Logic drivers instead of Compaq 64bit ones), but not for drive array itself. The Device Manager still lists the CR3500 Drive Array devices as "Unknown device".
Volumes and logical disks created on the CR3500 shared storage however can be seen and used from both nodes but only until installing cluster service. After installing cluster service, shared storage can be seen from the first node only.
How to resolve the first problem and how can it affect the server's reliability and productivity?
Is the second problem the normal behavior for the cluster? How can I install applications onto the shared storage if second node is unable to see the disks on it?
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If the Found New Hardware Wizard appears for the CR3500 SCSI
Array Device, perform the following:

1. Select "Next".

2. Choose "Display a list of known drivers for this device so that
I can choose a specific driver".

3. Select "Other Devices".

4. Select "Unknown" under Manufacturers and select "Unsupported
Devices" under Model.

5. Select "Finish".
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've read the Compaq reply to this issue, but it seems lacking. I'm not convinced that leaving this "device" showing as Unsupported Device is the right answer.

Regardless, I have a slightly different issue with the CR3500 and the two Cluster Nodes. Whichever node is brought up first works effortlessly. However, the second node to come on-line seems to have GREAT difficulties negotiating access to the shared disk cabinet. Consequently, this hangs the second node for extreme lengths of time prior to finally coming up, albeit with errors and tons of errors logged to the System log about SCSI disk driver problems.

When both nodes are finally up and running, everything seems to be OK with the cluster. Have I missed a particular hardware configuration step specific to the CL380 / CL1850 or perhaps I've missed something during the con fig of W2K AS and Cluster Services?

Please... any help or suggestions...
--Ryan
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thank you Ryan for your comments,

Yes I also don't think leaving the device as "unsupported" is a good decision. However, it seems Compaq doesn't have the special drivers for the array and actually doesn't need them. I asked this question because I supposed Compaq might have some newest drivers for it but...

By the way, you can also ignore the Compaq special drivers for the controller :-)) Windows 2000 detects the controller as Symbios Logic (according to the chipset), and these drivers work as well. At least I had no problems with them.

What about your question: I suspect you have the SCSI ID conflict between your SCSI channels to the CR3500 array. Did you change the SCSI ID at one of the nodes during the initial SmartStart setup? By default, the setup program sets SCSI ID to 7, so you must change it to 6 at one of the nodes. You can check it running system partition utilities during the system startup.

I would be glad if I could help.
Thank you all once again,
Boris
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The anomoly of Win2k listing the cr3500 controller as 'other' is not a problem for operations - the workaround given above is correct.
Certainly you should make sure the firmware on all the controllers is up to date (this has been a poblem for other customers) - (if control panel properties for the cr3500 shows stand alone.

To determine the firmware version of each controller:
1. Power down the shared storage subsystem.
2. Remove the controller in bay 2 (bottom bay).
3. Power up the shared storage subsystem.
4. Open the CR3500 Configuration Utility.
5. Double-click Controller, and then click Properties.
6. In the Controller Properties window, click the General tab.
Note the firmware revision level that is displayed.
7. Exit the CR3500 Configuration Utility, and then power down the
shared storage subsystem.
8. Remove the controller from bay 1 (top bay).
9. Insert the other controller into bay 1, and then power up the
10. Open the CR3500 Configuration Utility.
11. Double-click Controller, and then click Properties.
12. In the Controller Properties window, click the General tab.
Note the firmware revision level that is displayed.

If the firmware versions do not match, refer to:
- Service Advisory EC991124_SW05, ?Matching Firmware on Dual CR3500
Controllers in Windows 2000, NT,? for Microsoft Windows 2000 and
Windows NT 4.0 Server Enterprise Edition
- Service Advisory EC991124_SW04, ?Matching Firmware on Dual CR3500
Controllers in NetWare Environment,? for Novell NetWare 4.x or 5.x

To determine the configuration settings of each controller:
1. Power down the shared storage subsystem.
2. Remove the controller from bay 2 (bottom bay).
3. Power up the shared storage subsystem.
4. Open the CR3500 Configuration Utility.
5. Double-click Logical Drive, and then click Properties.
6. In the Logical Drive Properties window, click the General tab.
Note the following assignments for each RAID set:
- Host Port
- Target ID
- Logical Unit Number (LUN)
7. Exit the CR3500 Configuration Utility, and then power down the
8. Remove the controller from bay 1 (top bay).
9. Insert the other controller into bay 1, and then power up the
10. Open the CR3500 Configuration Utility.
11. Double-click Logical Drive, and then click Properties.
12. In the Logical Drive Properties window, click the General tab.
Note the following assignments for each RAID set:
- Host Port
- Target ID
- Logical Unit Number (LUN)
13. Compare the RAID set mapping information from each controller.

Both CR3500 Shared Storage RAID Controllers must have the same
configuration settings (including the RAID set mapping information)
to successfully bind in redundant mode. If they do not have the same
configuration settings, refer to Service Advisory EC991124_SW03, ?How
to Match Configuration Settings on Dual CR3500 Controllers.?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thankyou Phil, I have an additional question. I am running the latest firmware on the CR3500 and am experiencing the same problems stated above. I am however only running on one CR3500. Is it necessary to utilize the redundant capabilities of the CL1850 in order to get the cluster service to work within windows 2000 or can I run on a single CR3500 array controller?

Thanks for your help.
Forum User

Was there any resolution on this issue? I have just 'inherited' a CL1850 cluster connecting to a drive array with one CR3500, and the long boot up problem is something I am facing. I changed the SCSI ID on one of the servers, but this hasn't helped.

Additionally, the drive array is not available once the second server finally boots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You do not need a second CR3500 Controller, it will work just fine with one.

You should not run with the generic Symbios driver for the SCSI card - instead, download the latest Support Pack for the CL1850, and specifically you want the "hp ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003" that is in the Storage Controller Driver section. You can find this at http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1124.html

The CR3500 Controller does not require a driver. It is kind of "hidden" behind the SCSI card that it is connected to - but it does show up sometimes, causing confusion. So the reason you want to get the CL1850-specific SCSI driver is that it is aware that it is talking to the CR3500, where the Symbios driver is not.

Hope this helps,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You might also find some useful info in the following docs. They're a little outdated, but the info is good

CL1850 Best Practices
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/solutions/enterprise/ha/whitepapers/11GF-1299A-WWEN.pdf

CL1850 SCSI ID Numbering
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/solutions/enterprise/ha/whitepapers/11YM-0200-WWEN.pdf

Both of these, as well as a ton of other stuff, are located at the main ProLiant Cluster site at http://www.hp.com/servers/proliant/highavailability

CL1850 User and Troubleshooting Guides
http://h71025.www7.hp.com/support/reference_library/viewcompletelist.asp?countrycode=1000&catid=750&famid=784&doctypeid=MAN&prodid=384|ProLiant%20CL1850

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo