1753500 Members
4117 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cache parity check - CPU1

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Cache parity check - CPU1

I have an old prosignia 500 on which I am trying to load Windows95 so that I can use it as a pc. When I got it there was no hard drive so I have installed one, loaded the basic W95 boot drivers and CDROM drivers. So far so good. I can now access the hard drive and boot from it and the CDROM works. There is 16MB of on board ram.
I put the W95 CD in and run setup. It goes a fair way through loading OK and then the screen goes black and I get the message "Cache parity check - CPU1". Is there some way round this?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Cache parity check - CPU1

Run diags to verify there isn't a problem with the CPU , memory or hardware problem . You may need to increase the memory .

Compaq Server Diagnostics

Memory for the Prosignia 500 , must be 72 pins with parity , 60 or 70 ns SIMMS , Gold Connectors . Must be installed in like pairs of 8,16 or 32mb . EDO is not supported .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Cache parity check - CPU1

I have now run diags. It picked up logs of the four previous crashes under the Cache parity check error. I cleared these and ran diags again and it passed all the tests.
I pulled out a couple of 16Mb simms from another machine in the hope that they might be compatible. No dice - when booting up it gives "164 Memory size error" I am assuming this to be because the memory is just not compatible rather than anything else. Please can you confirm this?
I am now trying to source some compatible simms. I have been offered loads of EDO (which I gather will not work) and something called FPM (60ns 2 x 32Mb) - will this work? The conns are not gold but I don't know how critical this is.
Thanks
Mark