1753473 Members
4832 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Caldera Unattended Install Fails

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Caldera Unattended Install Fails

Trying to automate build of ML370-G2 servers with 5304 RAID Controller. Caldera supplies the Linux Unattended Install that can be used to replicate a system using a configuration diskette produced from the Master system using "mklizard --floppy". This diskette, can subsequently be used to build systems but only if the Compaq Partition (/dev/cciss/c0d0p3) is not part of the Master system from which the diskette was created. If the Compaq partition is present, subsequently using this diskette for unattended install results in the following error: :
"Unable to install OpenLinux on this system. One possible reason may be that your hardware is not yet support by Linux. ... Insert formatted diskette and type "hwinfo". This will write an install report together with debug information onto your floppy.....email this file to hwinfo@caldera.de."
Note: Hwinfo also fails.

When building the Master System, I install the Compaq System Partition using SmartStart after array configuration (Manual install). Next I install Caldera OpenLinux Server - during this installation I do NOT check the "WRITE MASTER BOOT RECORD" box when prompted and the result is a system that boots Linux but also allows F10 access to the system partition in the normal fashion. This is the system I would like to replicate using the Caldera Unattended Installation.

Any ideas on how to automate (replicate) the installation of OpenLinux Server 3.1 on Compaq Hardware (with 5304 controller) AND keep the Compaq F10 partition?