ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753768 Members
5212 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can DL 460 c support single and dual port disk?

il_Pero

Can DL 460 c support single and dual port disk?

I have a serious problem with a HP Proliant DL 460 c, model 447707B21.
It configured with two disks dual port type but in emergency we need to replace one with a single port.
is it possible to mix different disk type on this server model?

disks are 72 Gb 10k type 

2 REPLIES 2
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi il-pero,

i think you have a BL460c not a DL460c. However, it does not matter. Only external storage with redundant controllers really use dual-ported technology.

All proliant servers (including blades) have only a single port backplane which does not support dual port operation.

as a result, it does not matter if you use single or dual ported drives internally.

best regards

ernesto (germany)

Sirajul_Haque
Advisor

Hi,

You can use Single Port HDD in these servers. It will not create any issues. Please read below for better explanations :)

As per HP "Dual port hard drives are ideally suited for dual port enabled external storage systems requiring high levels of redundancy and dual data paths to the hard drive. Dual port SAS drives may also be deployed in single port servers and enclosures; the drive will function as a single port device in these configurations"

Also refer:

Question: Are dual port drives compatible with single port servers and enclosures?

Answer: Yes, dual port SAS drives are compatible with servers and storage enclosure which only support one port on the hard drive. The drive will function as a single port device in this configuration.

I hope this will answer your question.

I am an HP Employee

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.