ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751930 Members
4903 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Can I Move a Smart Array Controller Card P222 from a Gen8 to Gen10 With Drives Attached?

SOLVED
Go to solution
HighConcept
Occasional Contributor

Can I Move a Smart Array Controller Card P222 from a Gen8 to Gen10 With Drives Attached?

I am migrating from an HPE Proliant uS Gen 8 to a new Gen 10. My Gen8 has the add-on P222 RAID Controller, and it is attached to 4 physical drives..  I want to unplug the P222 card and move it to the new Gen10, along with all four physical drives, connected identically.

Will the new server "see" the array, and the two logical drives it has been partitioned to (a small system/boot drive and a large "data" drive)?

I don't have any fantasy of actually booting successfully from the legacy system, but I don't care, since I am going to do a clean install of a newer WIndows server. But the installer will have to "see" the system drive for me to format it anew, and then install to it.

I guess another way of asking is, "Is everything a Smart Array Controller card needs to know about "its" array stored in the card, and not, for example, somewhere else?"

1 REPLY 1
Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can I Move a Smart Array Controller Card P222 from a Gen8 to Gen10 With Drives Attache

Hi,

first, the Raid Configuration is stored on the Disks.
This is because you may have a failed Controller and need to replace the Card, without Data loss.

But the P222 is not Supported in Gen10 Server and also the Disks have different Form factors and will not fit in Gen10.

What you try, will not work, sorry.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.