ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a drive that is not the same size ...

William_74
Occasional Advisor

Can I add a drive that is not the same size ...

- Proliant DL580
- Smart Array Controller (current)

I currently have a three 18 GB drives in my SCSI array on my Proliant and I want to add an additional drive.

What will happen if I put in a 36GB drive? Assuming it is identical in all other aspects (RPM, etc). Thanks.

Bill
5 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I add a drive that is not the same size ...

ACU will take portion of your drive for Array Configuration, a warning for unused space will pop up, you can use unused space after to create Logical drive, but there will be no protection against data lost. Or leave as is, just in case if in the future you swap all 18 to 36 than you can expand trough O/S
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

To add:

The RPM, model, and company info are not important. If the drive is supported by the controller then the array will have no issues.
William_74
Occasional Advisor

Can I use an Ultra320 drive when all the others are Ultra3? Finding these old drives has proven difficult.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

U320 drives should step down and operate at the fastest speed of the existing drives. If the drives operate at Ultra3 speeds, then the new drive will operate at that speed.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

All of the previous posts have assumed that you are wishing to expand the array. You can of course add this drive as RAID0 (no data guarding) and retain 36GB for use.