New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I install Win2000 at ML150 G6 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
tlee
Occasional Advisor

Can I install Win2000 at ML150 G6 server

Hello all,

Does anyone know is it possible to install Win2000 to new ML150 G6 server? I don't want to waste it license fee.

Can I use WinXP driver install?

Thanks for any help!
9 REPLIES 9
tlee
Occasional Advisor

Anyone can help?

Thanks
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i think it will not work,

but you could virtualize the server and them install windows 2000 inside.

mikap
tlee
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mikap,

Thanks for your reply.

Because I want to replace the old server with that model. But, it cannot support Win2000. All are on held now.

I found G1 has Win2000 drivers.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279689&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=372786тМй=en&cc=us
Is it possible use in G6?

Besides, will it cause lag if using the VM?

Since, I am using Win2000 + SQL2000. Database file is over 40GB. (that is the reason needed to replace a new server)

It caused me headache since I make budgets to re-purchase new OS and new SQL license again. They are so costly.

I just want to replace more powerful server only.

Have any solution even workaround?

Thanks
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mikap,

Thanks for your reply.

Because I want to replace the old server with that model. But, it cannot support Win2000. All are on held now.

I found G1 has Win2000 drivers.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279689&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeries
Id=372786тМй=en&cc=us
Is it possible use in G6?

Besides, will it cause lag if using the VM?

Since, I am using Win2000 + SQL2000. Database file is over 40GB. (that is the reason needed to replace a new server)

It caused me headache since I make budgets to re-purchase new OS and new SQL license again. They are so costly.

I just want to replace more powerful server only.

Have any solution even workaround?

#============================================

at first this is only my opinion, before you are buy a new server you could/should check if the OS is supported, Windows 2000 its out of support, so the best way is to migrate the OS and database to the new or to the newest OS, if there is some reason why to stay on you current OS/DB version, the only way how to be more satisfied is virtualisation.

there are some questions very important before you go to virtualisation :

???? how important is your system / data / availability

what about the old server what's his configuration ???

CPU / MEM / disks(how many disk RAID level ),
OS version ??? Windows 2000 server standart / enterprise / datacenter ....

PS : if you have a limited budget, you could use Vmware ESXi 4update1 ( its free of charge ), and them migrate your current enviroment via vconvert to the virtual server.

mikap
tlee
Occasional Advisor

Hello Mikap,

Many thanks for your advices.

Since, the server is running my in-house application which required the environment Win2000 and SQL2000.

>>>> how important is your system / data / availability?

(tlee) Most important. I have more than 40GB database records there.

>>>> what about the old server what's his configuration?

(tlee) old server is Proliant ML350 (6yrs old), Xeon CPU, 2GB RAM, SCSI HDD 80GB, RAID 1, Win2000 Standard server. SQL2000 Standard server

Since, the HDD space is not enough. So, I plan to replace a new server with bigger HDD.

Planned config
HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Server
CPU: Intel Xeon E5504 2.0GHz
Memory: HP 4GB (2+2) DDR3 Unbuffered RAM
Hard Disk: 2 x HP 1TB 3G SATA 7.2K 3.5in HDD
Controller: HP SmartArray P410
Form Factor: Tower (5U)
ODD: HP Half-Height SATA DVD-ROM
Power: 460W

I really want to know the relevant chipsets which are used in ML150 G6 server. That I try ti find whether it can be used in win2000. Once, HP people did not reply me.

As for Vmware ESXi 4update1, is it possible to use in company? And I lack of knowledge about VM. And I think the Database record transaction is heavy in my condition. I afraid it's stability.

Would you mind give me more advices ? Also will HP people read this forum and give helps?

Thanks

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Your specs list a Smart Array P410 which does NOT support Windows 2000:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.html

I agree with the previous reply to virtualize.

For what it's worth, consider going with faster SAS disks than the 7200RPM SATA disks your specs also listed.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

I really want to know the relevant chipsets which are used in ML150 G6 server. That I try ti find whether it can be used in win2000. Once, HP people did not reply me.
As for Vmware ESXi 4update1, is it possible to use in company? And I lack of knowledge about VM. And I think the Database record transaction is heavy in my condition. I afraid it's stability.

ESXi, is free, there is also some version customized from HP directly :

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM06

but actually, i always use a images directly form vendor = vmware.

if you buy a new server which is supported with the IntelVT CPU, them you will see that the hypervisor, don's consuming so much resources, with a new server you will have more CPU and memmoory that you hade before,
and if you run on this HW, only one Virtual server, them there is no limitation, the hypervisor will give you all possible resources to you virtual sevrer ( Windows 2000 + SQL ) the question is wich os version and SQL do you have, how many memmory could be used.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx

PS : please assign points if you found the answers for you problem.

mikap

tlee
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mikap, Kedd Guyton,

Thanks alot for your message.

Do you know which ML series still support Win2000 in stock avaliable now? Since, I may be switch to it.

BTW, Wish all of you have a very happy and prosperous New Year!

tlee
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

As I said before the Windows server 2000 family is out of support, the virtualisation is the best way.

If you search for a server that supports ( have a limited support for you windows version ) check this site from HP :

ProLiant Server Support Matrix for Windows
Windows Server 2000

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/583791-0-0-0-121.html

mikap

BTW : I wish you also have happy New Year, and god luck with you server migration.