ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use both onboard and P400 controllers?

Leofrancis00
Occasional Visitor

Can I use both onboard and P400 controllers?

Hi all,

We have exchange 2007 running on a DL380 G5 (with P400 controller). The OS is on RAID1 config, and the database is on a RAID5 config (with hot spare). This uses up all available ports on the P400 card.

Our database is now too large to manage (with the free space on this logical disk now at just 3%) and we are looking for ways out! The trouble is, in order to carry out some maintenance tasks (like offline defrag for example) we need a huge amount of free space so we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Using USB storage would be impractical (slow). Removing the hot spare and replacing with a larger disk with its own array config would be risky and expensive (around £1k). So I would like to just connect a sata HDD to the internal onboard controller port and use that alongside the P400 controller.

My immidiate question would be, can the onboard controller work alongside the P400?

Any assistance would be VERY much appreciated

3 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Can I use both onboard and P400 controllers?

You can use the embeded Smart Array and multiple option board Smart Array controllers

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Leofrancis00
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. So just ot clarify...

I can have my OS and DATA logical drives running off of the p400, and a single sata disk running off of the embedded controller thats currently not used, and it should all work together? (at least temporarily just for this mailbox migration task)

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Maybe I misunderstood your orignal message, so currently your using the embedded P400i and have 2 Arrays. Array A is RAID1 and Array B is RAID 5, How many disks are you using, Assuming (2) disks for Array A and at least (3) disks for Array B. do you have any open disk slots to add more disks and create another array or expand the current RAID 5 array?  ANother options is to swap out the disks in the current RAID 5 array to larger drives. The later is time consuming as you have to swap out an rebuild each disk in the array one by one before you can use the extra space

If you asking if you can plug a drive into the single SATA controller port on the system board, I can't offer much help there as I've never tried. 

Standard Disclaimer:

Before messing with disks, always make sure you have a good backup of your data

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!