ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748359 Members
5440 Online
108763 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I use normal SATA HDD in ProLiant ML350 g6 Server?

savedlema
Occasional Contributor

Can I use normal SATA HDD in ProLiant ML350 g6 Server?

Hi all!

We have this HP ProLiant ML350 g6 Server which came with its special HP HDDs. We really want to add another Hard Disk and install a Windows Server in it.

With limited budget, we can't purchase HP HDD as of now. But we have a SATA HDD (Western Digital, 500GB/16MB Cache) and we want to add this to the server.

Will the server accept this HDD?

Thanks, and...Merry Christmas everyone!

3 REPLIES 3
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Greetings!

HP always recommend to use HP tested drives on HP servers. However if you want to use non-HP drives, yes you can use if only the form factor is correct

All HP hdd are flashed with HP firmware which helps the cotroller to controll the HDD activity

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
savedlema
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Renjiv for your useful reply.

For now, we would push on to use SATA HDD. What are the procedures please? After reading your reply, I went into the server and connected the SATA HDD (connected the power cable and the thin data cable), powered up the server, but I could not the added HDD under "System Monitor --> File Systems"

Thanks again,

@Renjiv wrote:

Greetings!

HP always recommend to use HP tested drives on HP servers. However if you want to use non-HP drives, yes you can use if only the form factor is correct

All HP hdd are flashed with HP firmware which helps the cotroller to controll the HDD activity

Regards,

Renji V

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Greetings!

Adding new drives there is as normal. If you are trying to add to any existing array, you need to follow the array expansion procedure. 

Please let me know the model # of the drive that you are using and if you are trying to add the new drive to existing array or not.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....