ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use swap my drives from ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 and have the server still boot?

jkier
Occasional Visitor

Can I use swap my drives from ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 and have the server still boot?

I have an ML370 G4 that I am not currently using.  I have an ML370 G3 that I thought had a bad power supply, so I replaced it, but the new power supply does not get a grren light and I think I have a bad ps backplane. If I move my drives from the G3 to the G4 will the server still boot to Windows?  Will I get a BSOD due to driver differences?  Would it work if I moved the scsi array card with it?  Or should I break down and buy a new ps backplane for the G3?  I'd really like to move everything over to the G4, but I really don't want to have to rebuild the server.  Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I use swap my drives from ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 and have the server still boot?

If you can move the disks between the servers depends on which controllers you have.

Quickspecs for G3 says:

Smart Array 6402 standard on High Performance models

Q4:

Ultra320 High Performance Models ship with the Smart Array 6404/128 Controller

Should work fine to swap the disks between the servers.

You may want to make sure that the disks are on the same scsi id etc.
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can I use swap my drives from ML370 G3 to ML370 G4 and have the server still boot?

RIS ( raid information sector is on the hard drives ) if the other server has the same controller and you want the same raid level on other server with similar controller you dont have to worry !

Was the post useful? Clik on the white KUDOS! Star.
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
iulmax
Advisor

You can swap the drives and get the server runnig.

1st of all you have different hardware configuration

2nd of all you have different drivers/ firmwares

You won't be able to start the G4 even is you remove all drivers from the hard drives.

It will on;y work if you swap the drives in a server that is the same make and model.

You will get infinit BSOD loops even in safe mode.