ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
8029 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can U create a RAID 1+0 without losing Data?

Jacob Rascon_1
Occasional Contributor

Can U create a RAID 1+0 without losing Data?

Here is my question:

I have a mirrored pair with data on it and the controller is a Smart Array 5i in a DL380 G3. The drives are running out of space and I have 2 empty storage slots.
Can I add 2 larger drives into the empty storage slots, mirror them, then strip them to the active mirror, without losing data.
3 REPLIES 3
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Jacob,

So if I understand you correctly, you would like to create a RAID 1+0 (striped mirror set) on 4 drives but with 2 drives of size X GB and 2 drives with size YGB (where X is not equal to Y). You do realise that this would not be a recommended setup as you should always have a raid set with equal capacity, equal performance drives (mixing of drive sizes or mixing of Ultra 2SCSI with ULTRA 320 drives are not recommended)...the configuration that you suggest would lead you to waste X-Y GB of disk space on your existing mirror.

Hope i made it clear and dont forget to assign points:)

regards,
Jacob Rascon_1
Occasional Contributor

Thx for the reply, but it doesnt answer the primary question. Can I strip 2 mirror sets with one mirror set currently having active data? The point you made is definitely a good reminder and I will look for like size drives though.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

So you have 4 drives in Array A configured as Logical Drive 1 in RAID 1+0 configuration.
To answer your question - Can I add 2 larger drives into the empty storage slots, mirror them, then strip them to the active mirror, without losing data ├в not possible.
If your end result is to get more space, you have few options
- Add the two new drives (you will loose space as indicated in the earlier reply). Expand your array and then extend your logical drive.
- If you have 4 new larger drives. You can remove one of the existing drives replace it with the new drive and wait for it to rebuild. Do this for the remaining drives. At the end of the process you will have unused space and then you can extend the logical drive.
Don't forget to have a valid back
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!