ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748239 Members
3750 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can a dual slot video card fit inside a dl380 g6? (gtx 600 oc)

XOIIO
Occasional Contributor

Can a dual slot video card fit inside a dl380 g6? (gtx 600 oc)

Hello all, I'm in need of better graphics performance on my server (hopefully I can use remotefx), mainly for some vms I will be running, they need to be able to at least stream video, probably 480p ish or so, nothing massive.

I have a desktop with a faulty motherboard, but a still practically new gtx 660 oc in it, and my new dl380 g6 came without any pci risers, meaning I can get whichever ones I need, provided with the part number.

I will need this cable, wherever it hooks into the server (Haven't checked yet, I need to finish some tasks on it before I can open it up) http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pin-to-6-6pin-Power-Adapter-Cable-for-HP-DL380-G6-and-GPU-50cm-/141964323791?hash=item210dbbabcf:g:7ekAAOSwD2pXFeHo, but I'm wondering if any of the pcie risers will allow it to fit inside the server?

It would be incredibly awesome if they would, and all I'd need is the part number for which one I need. The graphics card should be just fine at pcie 8x, which is what seems to be available.

4 REPLIES 4
XOIIO
Occasional Contributor

Actually, I thought there were two pcie riser cards available, but it seems listings just used different sides of the same one, like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380-G6-G7-3-Slot-PCI-E-Riser-Card-496057-001-/361529665194?hash=item542cd8e6aa:g:JoEAAOSwiLdWCpRb

It also looks like it will be the right orientation for the card to fit in the case, now I need to check the riser cage, and see if it has two cutouts that would fit the video card.

edit: looking at the riser now, it seems that it would only fit single height cards, **bleep**. I do have an his unit, which would be better than nothing I suppose, and there are some better single height ones out there, but it sucks that my 660oc will go to waste still, unless there is a pci riser I haven't seen that will do the bill.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Unless you are using a graphics card from an approved list from HP, it is trial and error. Even if you found a raiser and cage that could accomodate a 2 slot card, there is no guarantee that the graphics BIOS is compatible or that the PSU is designed to supply enough current for that card. Plenty of posts here from people trying out different cards and failing. These server systems are designed for max CPU usage and data throughput, not graphics, so can be particular about which 3rd party grphics cards they can accept.

XOIIO
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, unfortunately I think the only solution would be a pci extension cable, and mounting the video card in one of the two slot positions, but securing it properly would be the issue.

I know that servers are made for maximum cpu throughput, that's why I like them, but I want to improve the performance of the vm's if possible. I'm not doing anything dumb like trying to use it as a gaming rig.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04282582

Here is the link to Quickspecs which might be of help. It details the PCI specs and expansion options but I could not find mention of any supported 3rd party graphics cards.