ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an older ProLiant 3000 Server Support USB?

George Uhlman
Occasional Contributor

Can an older ProLiant 3000 Server Support USB?

Hello,

We're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to back up system files on an older ProLiant 3000 server that's currently running Windows Server 2003. We'd like to use Windows' ASR (Automated System Recovery) backup.

Since this produces about 2gb of data, we were thinking of using an external drive to hold the information. Our thought is to connect the drive via an add-in USB PCI card.

The question is, can a ProLiant 3000 support USB, if it has the latest BIOS version? Would a USB PCI card be recognized at boot time?

Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

George Uhlman
george_uhlman@merck.com
3 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Can an older ProLiant 3000 Server Support USB?

Hello George,
It all depends upon the voltage of the controller for example 5.5 volt or 3 volt I believe. I did use USB controllers by PROMISE as well as MAXTOR with a PL1600 and did not have any problems at all. Just make sure when you install the card you do run system configuration utility so that the system recognizes the hardware installation.
Please let me know how you make out.

Regards,
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi george

most usb cards are made for desktops - so they are perfect for a pl3000 (i mean that they support 5 volt keyed slots).

----------------------------------------

no reason why the card of your choice should not work

------------------------------------------

but you must be aware that older proliant have no legacy usb support - that means that your usb device will NOT be available until your OS is running. is that what you need (you are talking about backups)

best regards
ernesto

Frank_180
Occasional Advisor

I have a similar situation. I have installed Keyspan PCI USB 2.0 cards on two PL 6400R with success. Prior to installation I upgraded the BIOS and firmware.

I also installed a Lava USB 2.0 card on a PL 1850R with success.

I have had trouble with installation of either card on a PL 8500.

The Lava card simply is not recognized and the Keyspan card is recognized but as soon as I copy any information to the external attached drive, I received a BSOD with the following error message:

Stop: 0x0000000A, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8046de3b
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Address:8046DE3B base at 8040000
Datestamp 3ee650cd - ntoskrnl.exe

This error usually indicates a bad driver, IRQ conflict, bad RAM or power issue.

I think it is a bad driver.

Can anyone suggest a stable USB 2.0 driver for the PL 8500?