ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can l use a disk from another DL320 in another DL320 without doing anything?

Al_56
Regular Advisor

Can l use a disk from another DL320 in another DL320 without doing anything?

l have just received another DL320 to use as a redundant server for our current DL320.

They are both G2's, the only difference is that the new one has twin 1.40ghz processors instead of our current servers single 1.26ghz proc.

l am running Redhat 7.0 on the current server, and have both 18 gig disks mirrored (RAID 1).

Recently l did a disk pull to have a backup disk, and was wondering if l could use that disk in the new server.

What do l have to do (if anything) to boot the server successfully with that disk?

Any recommendations on other methods l could employ to move the content of our current servers boot disks to the new servers?

Thanks in advance.

Alan
6 REPLIES
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Can l use a disk from another DL320 in another DL320 without doing anything?

Hi Alan,

Couple of ways to achieve your goal, I am just listing one approach that we successfully use as below:
1. Shut down the server.
2. Now pull out both the system disks.
3. Insert the safe disk that you have already created into its original slot (slot where it came from)
4. Power up the server, you should see that it boots up successfully.
5. Now move both the drives that you have pulled out in step 2 and insert them into slots of your choice on the server that you wish to replicate the OS install on.
6. Start the target server and you should see a successful boot.
7. Now install the latest Proliant Support Pack for linux on the target server so that the correct and updated drivers are loaded. This part should cater for the CPU speed difference and minor HW dissimilarity between the servers.

Hope it was of help and dont forget to assign points:)

regards,
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Can l use a disk from another DL320 in another DL320 without doing anything?

Hi Alan,

also note that before performing any such operations it is always recommended to ensure that you run the latest SYSTEM BIOS, FW of the array controller and the latest Proliant Support Pack for the server.

So, in your case, I would make sure that system BIOS and the firmware of the array controller on both servers are upgraded to the latest version.

regards,
Al_56
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your advice Saket.

I have made an error. The server's are actually DL360 G2's. l hope this does not change anything. l'm also running Redhat 7.3, not 7.0. Sorry for the mis-info, but l have a number of clients using similar hardware and l admit l confuse them at times (but not when it counts ;-)

I will upgrade the bios on both servers. l'm sure this is stable and will not cause any potential issues.

Is there any risk in upgrading the firmware of the Array (5i)? This is a concern of mine.

As for the Proliant support pack, the live server does not have it installed. l think the only package installed in the HP RAID manager. l've checked the dependencies, and l have all required packages, and each package exceeds the minimum patch levels. Would this be a straight forward no problem PSP install?

Sorry for all of the questions, but l have not installed the HP management packages before, and am nervous of badly affecting the current live server by installing these packages, as there is not yet a redundant server (hence this project).

Thanks,

Al
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Al,

The procedure would remain valid as far as I know on DL360 G2s.

BIOS upgrade should be fairly straightforward. Forum community atleast does this heaps of times, no dramas there. For absolute peace of mind, you have redundant ROMs, so if for some reason, if ROM BIOS upgrade fails, you can safely load up the previous version of the BIOS.

Upgrading the FW on the array controller is always recommended and hence the process of upgrading it is quite reliable. As a rule of thumb tho, always backup the data contained on the drives of this controller. But no dramas here at all, really.

PSPs although contain a generic set of device drivers, system utilities and management agents, be assured that it only installs the drivers that are required on your system. So, in other words, it inventories the devices on your system and only applies relevant drivers/rpms. No problems in PSS install - again the forum community is fairly confident in this exercise.

Hope it helps, any further queries, just shoot...

Good luck,

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please go through the link.
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3

System May Not Boot After Moving Bootable Logical Drive From One Smart Array Controller To Another
Where as migration is possible in case of problem this doccument might be helpfull.

Regards.
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Alan,

The document pointed out by Prashant is a good read. However, please be assured that the procedure mentioned before is valid and works.

The document describes how logical driving numbers can become an issue with bootable drives.

Any clarification, give us a shout.

Ciao.