108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can not flash bios - DL380 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
phliechris
Occasional Contributor

Can not flash bios - DL380 G4

I downgraded the system BIOS on our DL380 G4 due to testing purposes. I am now getting a "805 - Unsupported Processor Detected" message upon boot-up. It is prompting me to insert the RomPaq diskette to update the BIOS. I have done so through a usb floppy drive. The system is not recognizing it and I can not get out of the nag screen. "Insert ROMPAQ diskette and press any key when ready"
Please help
4 REPLIES 4
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

You can try to manually turn on the redundant rom:

Set positions 1, 5, and 6 of the system maintenance switch to On. Turn on the system, you should hear two beeps, power system back down, turn off 1,5, 6 then turn on,

If that doesn't work you can always try manually updating the bios from floppy by doing the following:

turn on switch 1,4,5,6 (only these ones) on the maintenance switch pack, and turn the system on with the bios floppy in the drive. what will happen is you won't get video and it will attempt to flash the bios manually. if it works, the floppy drive light will stay lit for a while and when the flash is done, the server should emit a series of tones.
phliechris
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I am wondering by enabling these system maintenance switches if that will somehow reset/erase the RAID disk array we have setup?
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor
Solution

You have nothing to worry about, it won't affect data on an array.
phliechris
Occasional Contributor

We tried the above method and it did not work. Is there a general time period before the server issues the two beeps indicating the redundant ROM has been switched?
Since we were going through USB we installed a floppy drive on the server and that worked (were able to update BIOS with ROMPAQ). I believe the USB was not working because of using an older BIOS which perhaps did not have that supported.