1752756 Members
4672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can not install Win2K3 on a DL360 G1

Rackem4me
Frequent Advisor

Can not install Win2K3 on a DL360 G1

I posted this in the wrong group earlier, so I will repost here.

I am trying to install Win2k3 on a DL360 G1 and it is not working well. The Bios is P21 11/15/02, the intergrated array controller is at 1.50. I did a Manual intergration and when I insert the Win2K3 cd and reboot, it starts to install the Windows drivers and then locks at the "Setup is starting Windows" screen (see attachment), the step just before the GUI starts.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jim
7 REPLIES 7
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,
Assuming you are starting from scratch, please run system erase first and then start all over. Here is the link for the software related to your Server:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_1123.html

If you are using a smart start which you should then select the assisted method of installation.

Regards,
Rackem4me
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response.
I did start from scratch and ran the system erase. As far as running the Assisted Intergration goes, you can't do that with SmartStart 5.5 and select Windows 2003. As far as I understand, you need to select manual and select Other as the OS.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,
Yes that is correct. What is your hardware configuration?? Just make sure that you have the bare minimum hardware. There should be no third party stuff in the system. Once the installation is done then you can install the rest of the stuff.

Regards,
Rackem4me
Frequent Advisor

It is a DL360 G1, 512MB Compaq Ram, Intergrated Array Controller v1.50, 2 - 18.2GB U3 drives in a RAID 1 config, Single Proc 866Mhz.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,
Please try the following:

Run system erase and when you are asked to reboot after erase please DO NOT reboot.
Instead swap the position of the hdds. Just make sure that the first drive is not at it's original position. Start with smart start again and see if the results are any different.

Regards,
Rackem4me
Frequent Advisor

Sunil,
That did not work either, but I did get it to work so far. I removed the original 256MB (2 - 128MB DIMMS) and left in the newer 256MB that I just bought. I rebooted and ran the Windows install again and it worked.

I wonder if HP will replace the old DIMMS?

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,
If your server is still under warranty then surely they would replace the RAM. Please let me know if I could be of any assistance.

Regards,