New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't Install 2008 R2 Foundation on ML110 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
dsgoody
Occasional Visitor

Can't Install 2008 R2 Foundation on ML110 G7

Hello All,

This is my first ML110 G7 server install, although I have installed about 50 G5 and G6 servers in the past so I am familiar with the general process used.

This is a brand new ML110 G7 server straight from the box, with the supplied 2GB of RAM and the basic 250GB HD. I have thrown in 2x 1TB Seagates to be used in a RAID1 for data storage and I will eventually load it with 8GB of RAM. I have turned the integrated B110i RAID controller on in the BIOS and configured a RAID0 with the single 250GB drive, and a RAID1 with the 2 1TB drives. The problem I have is that the supplied SmartStart CD didn't include an option for unbranded Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation (while not avaliable off the shelf, the disc I have here is from the Microsoft Partner Network) and in this suitation I would load Windows straight from the Windows disc and install the SATA drivers from a USB stick when Windows asks for them.

I downloaded these drivers here (the embedded SATA drivers) and while Windows seen these as the correct drivers for the controller it keeps giving me the follwing error when selecting either drive to install it on "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition". Some people have suggested removing all drives apart from the one you want to install on, but this still hasn't worked.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks, Dave.

4 REPLIES 4
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

once the driver is loaded from USB before proceeding please remove the USB drive and it should work

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
kanchisharma
Advisor

Hi,

Updated BIOS to latest revision

Then try booting to the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating System DVD and tried installation

Install the Drivers from USB

if still comes up with the error  Boot the Server to RBSU by pressing F9 during boot up. go into Standard Boot Order. Moved HDD to second position. Now it shows boot order, exit out of RBSU. Booted to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with DVD and it shall install fine.

you can also try another USB Drive.

GoodLuck

Kanchi

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.

For HP Guided Troubleshooting

Priyansha
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Adding to the above post, you may also check if there is a USB drive connected, if Yes then disconnect those and restart and then do the installation.

You may also try the following steps:
1) Boot the Server with OS CD.
2) when you get "Install Now" screen connect the USB Drive (with the latest Disk controller drivers in it).
3) Install drivers and before selecting Disk for installation, disconnect the USB Drive.
4) Start the installation.

Thank you,
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/?language=en_US
dsgoody
Occasional Visitor

Thank you very much Priyansha, this exact process worked like a charm.

Perhaps HP support should be made aware of this issue as they seem stumped.

Thanks, Dave.