ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751854 Members
5699 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't Load any OS except Windows 2000 on ProLiant 1600-R

Can't Load any OS except Windows 2000 on ProLiant 1600-R

I have a ProLiant 1600-R server that I am configuring for one of my clients. The server is a standard voicemail configuration we have used successful, some thirty times. There are some slight differences in this server but I don't believe they are having an impact on my issue. The server is a 1600-R w/Dual P3/550 MHz processors; 1-GB memory; Smart ARRAY 221 Controller card, installed in Slot 6; 3 9.1 GB 10K RPM Hard Drives, RAID 1 w/online hot spare. I have installed a 4/8 GB SCSI DAT Drive connected to the integrated SCSI Controller, port 1.

With this information here is my problem. I am loading IBM OS/2 Warp 4 onto this machine. I run the SmartStart CD without any problems. But when it comes to installing the Operating system the installation halts before the first floppy installation disk completes loading. I have tried installing Windows NT 4.0 on this system as well as Windows 2003 Standard Server. AS with OS/2 the installation causes the server to crash before installation is complete or before it proceeds beyond the first Floppy disk. However, I was able to complete installation of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

I have carefully reviewed all switch settings and have double and triple checked my configurations. As I said before this is a standard configuration we use for Voicemail servers running Warp 4, so I am at a loss as to why I can't load any OS except Windows 2000. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause these problems?
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

What os setting are you picking the bios?

During SmartStart we us OTHER, as recommend by Compaq support. As I stated this configuration has been used in a dozen other systems that are identical to this one, only problem is that this unit won't load anything but Windows 2000.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I mistakenly omitted some information that is apparently being assumed. When we configure these servers we do everything manually. Smart ARRAY 221 is setup in Slot 6 so that it can be used as the boot controller. No other controller is installed other then the embedded ones. Secondly, we are installing IBM OS/2 Warp 4 Workstation. According to Compaq, some years ago, to get Warp 4 Workstation to install you must select OTHER during the smart start setup. In the last month I have personally setup 5 of these servers. OF that 5 this is the only one that has been a major headache. It is also the only one we did not provide to our clients. I don't think that is a factor, but should be consider. We did remove anything orginally in the unit and replace it with our standard parts. I ran the erase utility v 1.70 and cleared everything, than stated from scratch using SmartStart CD v 4.50.
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

1) you should use smartstart 5.50

2) fw/bios should be up to date

3) try to run array diagnostics from the most current smartstart (7.40)