1753556 Members
5745 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't boot from floppy after running SmartStart 5.4

Nick M_1
Frequent Advisor

Can't boot from floppy after running SmartStart 5.4

I am trying to reload the Windows 2000 on a proliant 1600 using SmartStart 5.4. SmartStart ran as expected, except for a couple of things. It didn't enter ACU & SmartStart put out a message stating "Your boot controller has been set to Bus 1 .. Compaq Wide-Ulta scsi Controller (Port 1)".

I tried to boot from floppy before reloading Windows 2K, but it hung after issuing the message "Starting MS DOS ...". The diskette looks OK, so it seems my boot sequence has changed. I don't think RBSU is available on a ProLiant 1600.

I can rerun the SmartStart phase. Do you know how I can interrupt a boot in the SmartStart phase and change the boot sequence?

Many Thanks

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nick,

Smartstart should have sorted all this out however if you managed to get a system partition installed the first time around then do the following: -

Once the system passes its Power-On-Self-Test or POST, you will hear two beeps and the cursor will jump to the top right side of the screen. While it's there press the F10 key which will start the system partition boot for diagnostics etc.

Once you get to the Main Menu screen, press CTRL-A to enter the Advanced Mode.

Now choose "System Congiguration" followed by "Power On Defaults". Go down to "Set Standard Boot Order" and make sure its set to A: CD C: (default).

Use the ESC key to get back out once you have changed things.

If Smarstart got stuck or interrupted at some point it may have set this to an alternative choice.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Nick M_1
Frequent Advisor

Brian

Thanks for your reply. I checked the boot sequence and it was correct. My boot diskette and build CD both look OK too.

My boot process still hangs when it gets to "Starting MS-DOS". My colleague thinks this is due to the emulex cards installed in my ProLiant. I am going to try temporarily removing the emulex cards to see if it allows me to install Windows.

Thanks again

Nick
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nick,

Let me know how you get on please.

I know the Proliant 1600 well and can probably assist further with troubleshooting guides and other tools if you still have problems. I'm also based in the UK so posting these won't be an issue.

I'll await your update.

Regards,

Brian
Nick M_1
Frequent Advisor

Brian

I took the Emulex cards out & rerun SmartStart 5.4 including the erase system utility, but the subsequent boot stopped again in the same place.

I tried loading Windows from the standard Compaq W2K Server disks and this worked OK. There's a problem with the current version of my company's tailored W2K build and the way it runs on my old ProLiant. I will use the standard Compaq W2K Server install because I can't really spend any more time on this.

Sorry I couldn't find a proper fix. Thanks again for your replies.

Nick