Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot from onboard controller

John O'Brien_3
Occasional Visitor

Can't boot from onboard controller

Hi everyone,

After installing an Adaptec ATA Raid 1200A PCI controller card, we've found that this card appears before the onboard SCSI controller in the boot sequence. The server then tries to boot from the drives on the ATA controller and the machine stops at that point with a boot error.

The only way I can get the machine to boot at the moment is to disable the drives on the ATA controller. I've tried using the ATA card's config utility to set the drives to be non bootable but it doesn;t seem to remember this setting once I reboot.

Is there any way to change the order in which the controllers apper in the boot sequence or am I missing something embarrassingly obvious?

Thanks in advance for any help

John
3 REPLIES
John O'Brien_3
Occasional Visitor

Re: Can't boot from onboard controller

The server in question is a Proliant 5500

Thanks!
Patricia L. Medina
Occasional Advisor

John,

Run the System Configuration Utility for your server model from Compaq (SmartStart). You can find it on this website. Choose Configure, View or Edit Details. Page down to the controller you want to boot from and change the order. Save the configuration and reboot.

Patti
John O'Brien_3
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion Patti,

Unfortunately, we're still having problems. I've used the system config utility to set the on board SCSI as the "bootable controller". In Hardware settings, the on baord controller is "Controller #1".

The ATA controller is listed as a mass storage device and has no controller settings as such.

However, when booting, it still tries to boot off the disks on the ATA controller. The ATA controller is in PCI slot 6. I've been getting around the problem manually by turning off the ATA disks. The server then bypasses them and will boot off the disks connected to the on board SCSI controller.

I've flashed the latest ROMpaq and installed the config utility on both sets of drives but the probem remains :(

Any other ideas are gladly welcomed!

John