cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install SBS 2003 in VMWare on Proliant ML110

Erlend Neergaard
Occasional Visitor

Can't install SBS 2003 in VMWare on Proliant ML110

My company just bought a Proliant ML110. The server came with MS Small Business Server 2003. I want to install the SBS 2003 as a Virtual Machine in WMWare running on Ununto Server 7.10.

I installed Ubuntu Server and VMWare 1,0.3. I connected to the VMWare host from another machine and proceed to install SBS 2003 on it. When I boot from the SBS 2003 CD that came with the Proliant ML110 server I immideatly get the message:

"This system is not a supported platform."

On the HP/Microsoft CD I am attempting to install from it says: "For distribution only with a new server." I guess this has something to do with the above message.

What can I do to run Linux and Windows at the same time on my Proliant ML110? I would prefer to use the SBS license that I already paid for, and to have Windows running inside Linux - not the other way around - for maximum stability.

Reagards from Erlend Neergaard.
2 REPLIES
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can't install SBS 2003 in VMWare on Proliant ML110

Hello,

I suppose that you use the HP Branded Windows CD. In this situation it won't happen, because it is a modified installation.

Just find original microsoft CD and go further :))

Regards,
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can't install SBS 2003 in VMWare on Proliant ML110

Hi, solution is - "CUSTOMER NOTICE, Document ID: c00970200, Notice: Installation of Microsoft Software Products Sold by HP (as OEM) to Virtual Machines Is Now Supported, Last Updated: 2008-07-22" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00970200&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

BR, Oleg.