ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751802 Members
5044 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Can´t install W2K/W2003 Server on a ML370

Can´t install W2K/W2003 Server on a ML370

I have a ML370 running NT4.0 for 5 years without problems and now wanna upgrade to W2003. Can´t use SmartStart because my server is too old and it´s only supported by SmartStart 5.50 so manual install booting from Windows CD.
My Array Controller is a Smart Array 221 and I can´t find W2K or W2003 controller in order to press F6 at the beginning of the OS installation. Several tries:
A) I´ve tried W2K and W2003 whitout pressing F6 and installation hangs for ever.
B)I´ve tried W2K and W2003 pressing F6 and using every controller I´ve found related with SCSI and arrays. Same result with both OS
C) I´ve installed NT 4.0 again (without pressing F6) and everything went OK. Next I´ve tried to upgrade from NT, installation started, copied files to my disk OK, reboot but when W2003 tries to boot it hangs for ever.
¿Any tips?
Thanks in
8 REPLIES 8
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Can´t install W2K/W2003 Server on a ML370

make and run firmware cd 7.30
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html

remove any additional / optional PCI Card

Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Maybe these drivers help you:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17322.html
or attached drivers
regards,
Andrzej
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Upgrade also server BIOS and SA221 firmware

Thanks Kov, but I´ve flashed already both, BIOS and array controller, with the latest ROM versions.

Thanks Andrzj but that driver can be installed after Windows 2003 starts, what I need is a controller for de Array 221 to use it during W2003 installation (pressing F6
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Hmm, attached .zip file you can use (after unpacking of course ;-)) during installation process (F6)

Thanks again Andrzej but I've tried that controller already. That controller doesn't support Array Controller 221. I've only found one controller which support Array 221 and it was for NT 4.0, I've tried it anyway but same result. Now I'm going to unplug the controller out of the server just to see if W2003 can get installed, this way I suppose I could see if the problem is with the Array controller or not.
Thanks a lot!!

OK. Problem resolved.
During my test I deleted, created and updated my system partition several times but I didn't test the "erase all" option from SmartStart CD. Doing that, SmartStart reconfigures the server completely giving me the posibility of installing Windows 2K. I tried it and it worked fine, now I have the server running W2K fine.
Next step is to do a manual installation of Windows 2003 (not sopported by SmartStart 5.50). I guess it should work ;-)))
Thanks everybody for your help!!

OK. Problem resolved.
During my test I deleted, created and updated my system partition several times but I didn't test the "erase all" option from SmartStart CD. Doing that, SmartStart reconfigures the server completely giving me the posibility of installing Windows 2K. I tried it and it worked fine, now I have the server running W2K fine.
Next step is to do a manual installation of Windows 2003 (not sopported by SmartStart 5.50). I guess it should work ;-)))
Thanks everybody for your help!!