1753796 Members
6976 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't install the OS

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Can't install the OS

My server, a ML370 with a 5302 raid controller keeps dying during the OS installation. I have tried booting from the cd, and the floppies. It gets to the part of "starting windows 2000" and hangs. Two of the lights stay on constant on all the drives of the array. I have created a new array, but the installation doesn't even get to the part of setting up partitions.
PLEASE HELP.
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Can't install the OS

If this is a G2 ML370 please skip step 1 and 3.
Boot off of the CD entitled "Smart Array 5300 Support Software"
1. Run the option entitled "Run System Configuration", NOT "Install/update System Partition"
2. Reboot off of the Smart Array 5300 Support Software CD run the 5300 ACU option.
3. Reboot off of the Smart Array 5300 Support Software CD and run Install/update system partition
4. Save and exit
5. COLD BOOT Server off of the NT CD -- Not the three diskettes -- they will not work with this controller
6. Do the "S" to specify additional mass storage devices
7. Use the diskette entitled "Compaq Support SW Diskette One ver 4.81" to specify the 5300 driver
8. Finish up the install.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Still frozen. I originally had 4 drives in the array, but only 3 allocated, so I removed one. I boot from the compaq cd all 3 times, the system partition is already there. Should I destroy the array then create it?
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

You might to run the erase to wipe out everything and start fresh. If you still have problems can you supply your e-mail address and then we can exchange phone numbers please.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

jjwilt@co.ashtabula.oh.us
It is 10 EST here, lunch is 1 pm for me.
I have run the erease utility and tried to start over. Now when I go to create the sys partition it tells me it can't find any drives?