ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752422 Members
5674 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't match arrays with logical drives - need help!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Can't match arrays with logical drives - need help!

Just got some bigger drives to expand my file server (ML530) but now I can't determine which arrays are what logical drives. I can use the ACU to view the 3 5300 Smart Array controllers and light them up to see the drives blinking, but I can't figure out what controller is what logical drive. If I look at Disk Management and check the properties on one of the disks, it will tell me the Logical drive letter, SCSI Port Number, Target ID and LUN. Is there any easy way to find the controller-logical drive link information?
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

How about Physical View and clicking on each Drive ├в should work also here is
ADU - CP005001 HP ProLiant Array Diagnostics Utility for Windows 2.50.5.0
It will help you also see by configuration and model where it assigned
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21867.ht
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Sandy,

If you highlight an array controller within the ACU, the disks associated with that controller will flash. If you highlight an array under it, then the drives attached to that array will flash and if you are in "physical view" and you highlight an individual drive, then that drive alone will flash.

You were after an easy way, now that's worth ten points in anyones books!!!

Colin
Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

That's good enought for 5 points since it gives me 1/2 an answer. I can see the drives I'm concerned with, I just can't figure out which ones are G:, I:, H:, etc......
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Sandy,

I'm not sure that this is possible. The ACU and the Diagnostic Utiliy metioned in an earlier post are able to see at hardware level but the storage is presented to windows as logical drives (it does not know how arrays are made up etc). So the best you can get out of windows is the Bus Number, Target ID and LUN of the logical device.

Having said that, do you really need to go to this level of information. As I described before, it is easy to see which array is assigned to which logical drive by combining both sets of information.

Colin
PS Thanks for the 5, I guess it's all I deserved!!
Sandy Wood
Frequent Advisor

Colin,

Thanks for the follow-up - that's worth 5 more points alone!

My problem is that I've inherited a large drive array and I've just got my hands on some larger drives to expand that array. I need to expand certain logical drives to give some of our user groups more space and unfortunately, we specify those groups by logical drive.

I was able to figure out which array was which logical drive by unplugging one array at a time, and then logging in to the network to see which drive was missing in the user mappings. So far this has worked to solve my problem. I was just hoping for some whiz-bang method of connecting the two some other way.

Thanks once again for your help.