ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748084 Members
5315 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't update HD firmware because don't have SmartArray controller?

SOLVED
Go to solution
BetaPsi_
Advisor

Can't update HD firmware because don't have SmartArray controller?

I have an HP ML115 G5 server. I have hard drives model GB0250EAFJF. Those drives are affected by this alert: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01612429&dimid=1129037564&dicid=alr_feb09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/feb09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_Advisory%28Revision/alerts

I decided to install the G8 patch to correct the issue: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-1b67e3147edb4409a987c0c808тМй=en&cc=us&mode=3&

However, in the installation instructions section says: "This disk drive component requires: HP Smart Array E500, HP Smart Array P400, HP Smart Array P400i, or HP Smart Array P800 with firmware version 5.20 or later"

However, I do not have a Smart Array controller. I have some onboard nVidia disk controller running MediaShield BIOS 9.85. Does this mean that I cannot flash my hard drives and therefore will always run the risk of encountering this problem?

Thanks for your time!
4 REPLIES 4
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can't update HD firmware because don't have SmartArray controller?

does this help
For ProLiant 100-series servers and certain ProLiant 300-series servers:

For ProLiant 100-series servers and ProLiant 300-series servers using the HP Integrated SATA RAID Controller, HP SC40Ge HBA, or HP SC44Ge HBA, use the Offline Flash Tool for SATA HDD FW available for download as SoftPaq SP43542 at the following URL:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p787421430/v53295/

BetaPsi_
Advisor

Thanks for the help! I'm currently looking at that tool to see if it is what I need. However, how do I know if I have the SC40Ge HBA or SC44Ge HBA? Most HP documentation says to use various HP array configuration utilities, but none of the HP array utilities will work because they say that there is not a support controller in the machine. Not even the ML 115's Easy Set-Up CD can see the controller or give me information about it. Makes me wish I had had the budget to get a nicer disk controller. I also can't find any information in the BIOS about what specific array controller I have. I might just have to run the utility and see if it recognizes supported hardware.

P.S. How did you find that tool? I searched until my fingers bled and couldn't find any information about updating the hard drives with the nVidia controller. Maybe I just overlooked it and it was right in front of me the whole time.
BetaPsi_
Advisor

Update: After looking at that file, the how-to document says the following:

"The steps to flash hard drive firmware depends on server configuration at this time. Below are the supported configurations:"

And then these servers are listed:
DL160G5 with Storage Controller ├в ICH9 ├в Disks in JBOD
DL160 G5 with Storage Controller ├в SC40G ├в Disks in RAID
DL160G5 with Storage Controller ├в P400 ├в Disks in RAID array
DL180G5 with Storage Controller ├в ICH9 ├в Disks in JBOD
DL180 G5 with Storage Controller ├в P400 ├в Disks in RAID array
HP DL320 G5p with embedded SATA RAID enabled.

No ML series server is listed. =( I think I'll look into contacting HP support with this issue. It seems close to absurd that the ML series would not be capable of addressing this serious hard drive firmware issue.
BetaPsi_
Advisor

I just submitted a support ticket to HP and the tech said that I will not be able to update the firmware for the hard drives. I'm still a bit uncertain about that... there was some misunderstanding in the beginning and I don't think he read my ticket carefully.

I still hold out hope that maybe the softpaq number SP43542 tool *might* work. The instructions for the DL320S seemed like they might also work for my ML 115, but I'm a little turned off at the prospect of messing with the firmware on the drives without total support from the tool.

Maybe I'll just leave it alone and hope that 1) The problem never happens and 2) if it does, it can be solved by reseating or rebooting the server and isn't the total drive failure that can happen with this issue.

Add a few more premature gray hairs to the pate. =)