ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748123 Members
3318 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can we use M2 2280 nvme onboard for OS install, and whole disks array in raid mode for data stor

QuangLe

Can we use M2 2280 nvme onboard for OS install, and whole disks array in raid mode for data store?

Hello Everyone

I have two HPE DL20 gen10 and planned to install the M2 2280 nvme ssd for OS install
the 6 SAS drives on one raid5 logical volume with HP H240 storage controller raid card  will be used for data storage only.
So the question is: Can we just normal install OS onto M2 SSD then going to disk management on windows server create a parition and use it ? and how the samsung 970 evo 500G nvme card compatibe ? i know there will be some issue with 3rd party part since the mis-report temp will cause of fan over 70%. But that not the end of the world since we just out the server in lab 

I'm new to HPE product and not expert on this subject, just buy and deploy for internal development, lab test  use only.

Thanks everyone

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Can we use M2 2280 nvme onboard for OS install, and whole disks array in raid mode for data stor

Hello,

You can install OS in M2 2280 NVME drives. 

Please follow the DL20 quick specs for further clarifications  

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00053820enw

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

vin-in-it
Occasional Visitor

Hi,  

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question, about what hardware is required for onboard OS Boot (DL20 Gen 10).  

I also would like to run the OS on the onboard M.2 NVMe 2280 and leave the disk drives for file storage.

The referenced DL20 Gen 10 QuickSpecs are a little confusing to me, specifically in regards to exactly what additional hardware options are required to allow OS Boot from onboard M.2 NVMe 2280 cards.

If I would like the system to OS Boot from an HPE 240GB SATA 6G Mixed Use M.2 2280  SSD   (875488-B21) , looking at the QuickSpec (QS) it seems to indicate I require;

HPE Universal SATA HHHL 3yr Wty M.2 Kit (878783-B21 ). -   (QS page 25)

HPE DL20 GEN10 M.2 SATA LFF Aroc Cable Kit (P06683-B21) -   (QS page 25.  "M.2 SATA Cable kit")

HPE DL20/ML30 Gen10 M.2/Dedicated iLO and Serial Port Kit (P06687-B21).  -   (QS page 20, bottom of page)

Can someone at HPE please confirm these three option items are all that is required to allow OS Boot from the internal M.2 NVMe 2280 drive (875488-B21).

If there is something I missed or if I listed too much please let me know.

I have a few years of IT experience, but no history with HPE hardware or SW, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. 

Thank you,

mysy
Valued Contributor

You need clear M.2 NFGG(SATA Protocol ) is different than M.2 NVME . You could install nvme card to DL20 system board m.2 slot, but not the M.2 sata card. The m.2 sata card only could use with Dual Sata m.2 kit to pci-e slot 2. I install two sata m.2 480G with dual m.2 kit pci-e card , and other nvme 1T card to system board. Problem is the nvme card installed, the DL20 fans too noise.