7577 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can you add BBWC to Smart Array 5i

SOLVED
Go to solution
MacMan_2

Can you add BBWC to Smart Array 5i

We have a Proliant DL380 with a Smart Array 5i controller. I wish to add a HD and expand the array. I am told this requires BBWC. Unfortunately it is not currently installed.
Is it possible to add BBWC to the SA 5i?
If so what would the part number be, and are there instructions somewhere to download?
I appreciate any help you could provide. Please let me know if more information is required.
5 REPLIES 5
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi MacMan,

YOu don't need BBWC on 5i controller to expand the array. this limitation is there for few SAS model servers.

5i controlelr is available standard on the ProLiantâ ¢ DL380 Generation 2 (G2) server.

raid expansion is by default available for 5i controller.. check the quickspcs for more info
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10890_div/10890_div.html

hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

MacMan_2

Aftab,

Thank you for your quick response.
I see that you are an expert in the area.
It is great to have resources like yourself
available. It is a great help.

Out of curiosity, if the attempt to expand
the array was to fail, would it revert to the
original RAID 5 array, or would I ne to rebuild the array and reinstall everything?

Paul
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Paul,

let me explain the expansion part a little bit.

we expand the Array and extend the logical drive.

Array is group of hard drives. So expanding an array is to adding addition drive space into existing group (Array) which can be further utilize to extend an existing logical drive or to create an another logical drive out of the space that you have added.

when you initiate the expansion, data available on existing drives are re-distributed accross all the drive available in the group.

e.g .. u add 1 hdd and after expansion the 1 hdd drive space is equally distributed with all the hard drive that means you have that many hard drives available with little space with each drive to create another logical drive or extend the existing logical drive.

there are some precautions that we must take before expanding an array and then logical drive..

1. make sure you have valid backup..
2. System bios, controller and hard drive firmware is latest.
3. Run the ACU utlity to make sure that there isn't any background operation running
4. Run the ADU and save the report for configuration sake.
5. Add the same size hard drive (recommended) in the array
6. Battery backed write cache increases the controller performance and provide data protection against power failure. it also accelerates expansion process.
7. rebuild/expand priority should be set on high to complete the expansion process first.

hope this helps,

thanks
Aftab
Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided is helpful.
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

MacMan_2

Aftab,

I appreciate the detailed explanation.
I was aware of the steps, but I appreciate
your thoroughness so that I take all the
necessary precautions.

I need to update the firmware and will try
the expansion within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you again for your help.

Paul
MacMan_2

Based on the information provided, my questions have answered.