ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753543 Members
5505 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can you give to users to control the maximum fan speed?

DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

Can you give to users to control the maximum fan speed?

It so long time experienced with HP server products,
You guys never concern about fan noises.
DL, SL series is rack type so mostly it uses in server room but how about ML series?
It so painful to hear the loudly fan noises within working time so many people trying to fight back with it as like below URLs;

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/di3vrk/silence_of_the_fans_controlling_hp_server_fans/
https://github.com/Max-Sum/HP-fan-proxy

WHY ARE YOU HP USER LEAVES SO PAINFUL TO HEAR THE FAN NOISES?
Corona virus make it more swelled up issues.
Have you try to use ML servers in your home in working time?
Hope you have to try this at home guys! especially, the server air cooling design team.

So to reduce the painful of fan noise issues, you can give to the users can control the maxmimum fan speed in iLO with responsiblity(like warning message) to use them.
There have so many issued about fan noises issue made by temperature sensors abnomal measured.
it so tired to update the firmwares to fix the patches.
Look at yourself how many firmwares updated.
Please give to control the fan maximum speed with responsibility.
Users also no need to fight back with fan noises and happy with it.

7 REPLIES 7
LesRMed
Advisor

We have three ML350's sitting side by side in our "server room" / my office and I can barely hear them running.

DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

So you mean you are the fan noise tolerance standard man?
Your reply makes me very disappointed.
Can you try to understand what I really asking feature?
My home environment are not so large space so it makes fan noise echo sound like in cave effect.

NO MORE WANT ARGUMENT WITHOUT NO STANDARD.

WHAT I REALLY WANT IS MAKE THE FEATURE THAT USER CAN CONTROL FAN SPEED WITH OWN RESPONSIBILITY.
DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

I realized that the fan noise comes from GPU fan.(still server fan also loudly)
This gpu fan speed always 100% after turned on the server and it seems didn't control from the mainboard chipset.
ML110_Gen9_DevInven.png
Even though, the temperature sensor doesn't high.

ML110_Gen9_SensorData.png
My another server model is ML110 Gen9.
And hope it modify the GPU fan can control on user manually or chipset automatically.

UPDATED : it is only quiet on 'Intelligent provisioning'
ML110 Gen9 server fan controlled only when it runs on 'Intelligent provisioning'

Suvamay
HPE Pro

Hello,

Unfortunately Fan speed cant be controlled manually, There are two types of cooling in the BIOS, one is optimal and another is increased cooling. You can try both the option.

Thanks,

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

Easiest answer is just let it be as loudly fan noises.
That is not the solution and you're not appropriate with this discuss.
At least, needed to join this discuss as the firmware engineer.
This server quiet when it run on the 'Intelligent provisioning' only.
INTELLIGENT PROVISIONING ONLY CATCH THE FAN CONTROL CORRECTLY.
You have to try to test yourself and you recognized the fan control can work on the intelligent provisioning.

UPDATED : THIS SERVER CAN FAN CONTROL ONLY RUNNING ON THE INTELLIGENT PROVISIONING.
So needed firmware engineer check it out this situation and make the firmware it can always control the fan of server like on Intelligent provisioning situation.

LesRMed
Advisor

Calm down man. I just meant that there may be an issue with a sensor in your system. Since you mentioned a GPU, is it possible that you installed a different GPU that's not HP compliant for your server?  

See this thread https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/proliant-ml350p-gen8-pcie-card-increased-fan-noise/td-p/6211893#.X7Z10GhKguU 

DavidHur
Occasional Advisor

Yes.
I installed not HP compliant GPU and it doesn't support OCSD(Option Card Sensor Data) protocol that is not supported all of the world PC and SERVER parts except HPE compliant products only.
Thats why people suggests buy DELL server don't buy HPE brand and really disappointed of this like compatibility HP hardware problem caused by marketing for your company sales growth up.
You know what it is makes more trouble between users and your company.
It'll make HP user exit.
What's wrong with HP? OCSD? its really S.