1748137 Members
3587 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Install W2003 on DL380 G3

Stelios Stylianou
Occasional Advisor

Cannot Install W2003 on DL380 G3

Windows 2003 server installation gives blue screen errors in random steps of installation and with random error codes. I have checked the issue with BIOS and update the BIOS of the server, then I have even replaced the motherboard and the memory of the server and still cannot install the OS. The configuration of the server is basic only 1 disk no additional hardware. I am using SmartStart 7.10 and I have also tried earlier versions with no luck. Any ideas of what might be the problem?

Thanks
Stelios
12 REPLIES 12
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Hi,

On the new board make sure that the BIOS is updated; also update the BIOS on the 5i controller (if that's the one you are using)
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20832.html

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20142.html

If you have any pci cards, remove them.
If you have dual processors, get it down to one and then swap the processors around if needed. When the server crashes are there are red/amber LED's on the front panel?

The other thing that you could try is a manual install.
-> Configure your array using the ORCA; F8 when the controller initializes.
-> Boot off the windows 2003 media and proceed with the installation.
-> If the install succeeds, run the support pack from the SmartStart CD or the HP site
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19614.html
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Stelios Stylianou
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Vijay for the reply

I have upgraded the BIOS of the server and the BIOS on the 5i Controller and tried the installation using Smartstart.No Luck.
There is no additional hardware on the server (pci or tape drive or anything) and the server uses only 1 CPU. When the server crashes all the LEDs are green in the front panel.
I have also tried the manual installation but again no luck I am getting blue screen during the installation in random steps of installation but always after I insert the name of the server the key and the network settings.
I also run the diagnostics found on the SmartStart CD and everything seems ok according to diagnostics software.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Assuming your CD drive is perfectly ok (how about just ejecting the cd unit out again and push it back), can you let us know if you have already tried a different W2k3 CD (i.e. a different original media from Microsoft)? Sorry, it is just you cannot rule out doggy CDs...

Cheers
Gus
Learning never ends
Stelios Stylianou
Occasional Advisor

Hi Gus

I have already tried using different windows 2003 CDs, I have also removed the CD Drive as you suggested but again I am getting blue screens all the time.
I have also tried installing Windows 2000 instead of Windows 2003 and this time I receive the blue screen errors always during the last step of installation when the server installs and configures HP programs.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Stelios,

How about this --- run the W2k3 setup directly from the CD without Smartstart? Just extract the download http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19606.html onto a floopy disk when use it at the start of installation when it asks for additional SCSI. A plain vanilla w2k3 install should not cause problems and you can always install the Proliant support pack at a later stage...

If this all works fine then the problem could be the smartstart cd?

cheers,

Gus

Learning never ends
Stelios Stylianou
Occasional Advisor

Hi Gus,
Thanks for the reply
I have already done the manual installation using the Windows 2003 CD only with the driver from the link that is mention here.
Again no luck the blue screen error appears in tha same steps, either when Installing devices under Windows 2003 installation or when copying files and Registering Components.
Something that I have notice is that when trying to install Windows 2000 the blue screen was mentioning a filename each time. One time I saw the file ntfs.sys in the error page another time I saw the tcpip.sys file. I don't know if that helps to spot the problem.
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Stelios,

So the file error comes up during the blue-screen installation for the W2k3? My next two targets would be the CPU and the RAM modules (although I undersrtand you've already gone thru them and done a diag).

Can you confirm that your DL380g3 is not an upgrade from 2.4GHz CPU to something like 3.2GHz? Just checking really, although I never seen anyone made an attempt on upgrading CPU from 400MHz bus to a 533MHz chip.

Can you also post your part-code for your RAM modules, please?

cheers
Gus
Learning never ends
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Stelios,

must not be fun to go through this...

I know you have by now probably gone thorough some intensive troubleshooting...just a thought here...have you tried running System Erase from the Smart Start CD and then erase NVRAM?

Let me know if you need info on how to do that...fairly straightforward just boot off SS CD and you should see an option to run SYSTEM ERASE,

Good luck...
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Stelios,

Have you selected "Windows 2003" in the OS Selection Menu in the BIOS?

regards,